Quick question about suspension

Mattcurrie93
Mattcurrie93 Posts: 49
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Quick question about sus.

Low travel is better for uphill and long travel is better for down?
Would a 160 Travel be a pain to cycle up hill?
Been looking at a cube stereo 160 2016

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Stereo-160 ... _84831.htm

Cheers

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I don't think that you can compare them. After all you are going to come down the hill that you go up and so that ought to be the criteria for suspension. If it is a long gentle forest track as opposed to an extended black route then those will predetermine the type of suspension you need. If you can switch off - ie lock out your suspension then it will make the ascent easier as will the overall weight of the bike and yourself.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • So 160mm travel would be good for the decents but also good on the incline?
  • Sweet! Nice one!
  • I only have 120mm of travel,... it's usually locked out! (It's there if I want it)

As mentioned above, make sure you spec your bike to your riding style & environment.
  • Downhill is more dependent on geometry than suspension travel. I used to ride double black trails on my Transition Scout which had 120mm rear suspension. I've just changed to a Transition Patrol which has 160mm and it definitely takes more effort up hill. The extra suspension helps in big rock gardens and over big jumps when I land badly.
    The extra suspension also helps with carrying more speed on descents but it's not a huge amount.
    The Cube isn't a great bike, I think my mate kept his for three months and spent a fortune on suspension tuning to try to get it working properly before he replaced it with a Giant Reign
  • My new 140 HPA Race arrives on Friday. All the reviews I've read are positive more or less.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    My new 140 HPA Race arrives on Friday. All the reviews I've read are positive more or less.

unless the reviews where done by RMSC or his mates I'd ignore them