6month Expected gains

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
edited September 2016 in Training, fitness and health
I am planning to improve my 10TT times, not done much real training and doing under 30mins on a road bike on sporting course.
All training will be done on the road for the next six months,
I plan to do tempo rides, 2 x 10s, Hill intervals, some long rides and a ten mile thrash.
Four rides a week and 80- 100 miles.
What gains can I expect to see?
The weather will get colder I will be wearing more clothes.
Will it be possible to see gains before the next season?

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    In answer to your last question, yes!
    If you havent been training much and can consistently ride 100 miles a week doing a mixture of efforts/training systems you will see some good gains.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bozabyka wrote:

You can expect 'gains' of some sort. At this precise moment, I don't think anyone could possibly predict what level of gain you might see, any more than someone could predict what the weather will be like on the day of your first TT next season.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    How old are you?
    How heavy are you?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • 40 and 13.5 stone
  • davidof
    and your posting 30 minute tens now? On a sporting course you should be down to 25 minutes if you do some training although at 40 the sky is still the limit.
    Instagramme
  • think 29.20 might be the best I have managed.
    Starting to accept there is a difference between riding and training.
  • davidof
    Bozabyka wrote:
    think 29.20 might be the best I have managed.
    Starting to accept there is a difference between riding and training.

Yes and no.

One year I was commuting into work over the winter 4 or 5 times per week. 7 miles one way. I went form doing 24 minute 10s to 22 minute 10s (that was in the late 1980s so on road bikes with none of this aero stuff).
    Instagramme
  • Does that mean there is a better way to train for a ten TT?
    A regular thrash on the bike rather than planned training?
  • davidof
    No, planned training is a good idea but my 7 mile commute, with some traffic, lights etc gave me a mix of sprints, steady riding etc but was short enough I could ride hard. For a 10 mile TTs even doing 10 mile TTs 2 or 3 times a week is good training.

You've got a lot of scope to improve and I would expect you to post at least 25 minutes times pretty soon, even on a non aero bike.
    Instagramme
  • Bozabyka wrote:
    I am planning to improve my 10TT times, not done much real training and doing under 30mins on a road bike on sporting course.
    All training will be done on the road for the next six months,
    I plan to do tempo rides, 2 x 10s, Hill intervals, some long rides and a ten mile thrash.
    Four rides a week and 80- 100 miles.
    The weather will get colder I will be wearing more clothes.
    Will it be possible to see gains before the next season?

I'm not sure if you know about linear periodisation or not but in principle you should gradually increase your intensity as you get closer to a 6 month goal 'race' or TT. Your plan seems to marginalise a necessary 2-4 month base/build component that would be primarily made up of endurance and sub threshold work.
  • Bozabyka wrote:
    Four rides a week and 80- 100 miles. What gains can I expect to see (in six months)?
    davidof wrote:
    I would expect you to post at least 25 minutes times pretty soon, even on a non aero bike.

Sorry 25 is totally unrealistic given you are at 29.30 now with 6months of moderate training. Even more the case when (as you mention) weather conditions are increasingly unfavourable (unless you are riding in a hot dry country eg Auz). If you do 28.00 in the next 6 months you will be doing well. Indeed making no time gains, but some power gains (ie same time in bad conditions) would actually be pretty good over the winter. I would predict 28ish in the spring, 27ish later next year with your schedule.
  • For sub threshold training could I ride a ten mile circuit and ride this each week a bit faster until this become race pace?
  • Bozabyka wrote:
    For sub threshold training could I ride a ten mile circuit and ride this each week a bit faster until this become race pace?

Just read the Training Bible by Friel and save yourself the worry IMO.
  • Also there is more to reducing your 10 mile TT times than just increasing power. How well do you know your course? Ride it until you can replay each mile easily in your head. Knowing when to go into the red and where you can recover slightly. Learning to hurt yourself harder for longer. Working on your aero position and being able to hold it. Knowing the most favourable weather conditions for that course. You could possibly clock a 25 next year, too many variables to say for sure by it is a good target to aim for!
  • I would think 25 mins is achievable. I'm 37 and a shade under 13st and have got similar gains in the last few months. Initially without much structure but more recently I've been doing a lot more interval work, mostly at threshold (2 x 20 or 6 x 4 are my staple), fitting round my commute.