La Marmotte sportive.

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited September 2016 in The cake stop
Has anyone on here ever attempted it?

I've just come back from the alps and had a go at it,however, I failed. I got as far as bourg d'oisans and no way could I have gone up the alpa d'huez. I was totally shot to sh1t.

I had done the alpe d'huez the day before so perhaps that may have had an influence. I just wondered if anyone had done it.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Yes done it a few times - a few threads on the sportive forum about the event - it's a really good day.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Yes done it a few times - a few threads on the sportive forum about the event - it's a really good day.
    Big respect my friend.
    Tail end Charlie

• Bit easier in a group Frank and the motivation is a bit higher if you do the event.
  • Bit easier in a group Frank and the motivation is a bit higher if you do the event.
    Fair points, however, I don't see myself ever being fit enough to do it, but never say never aye.
    Tail end Charlie

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Isn't it 150k or something ridiculous...
  • It's something just short of 110 miles I think, Glandon, Telegraphe, Galibier and Alpe D'Huez. About 7000 rider limit now I think as it was getting too big for the roads. To be fair if you can ride 100 miles with maybe a cafe stop in the UK you can finish the Marmotte, though last year due to road closures they had to change the route making it harder and with the heat there were 3000 odd DNFs.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    It's less the distance and more about the climbing/heat or cold. It's hard to tell people that you have 20km of climbing, some descending then 30km+ up the Telegraphe/Galibier. These are Cat 1/HC climbs. Sensible gears, pacing yourself, maintaining your nutrition and some practise if possible are essential. Get some miles in, long ascents if possible and try to get out there to practice. A number of companies will help you or you could go solo and stay in eg Bourg St. Maurice where you have climbs everywhere inc. the 50km to the Iseran
  • There's a bikeradar thread in this and hundreds of posts covering all issues. It is the classic sportive You would be hard pressed to see so many fit looking cyclists anywhere, but I think it's not as time constrained as Etape du Tour and some riders are finishing in the early evening.. If you don't like very steep descents with many others, it's not the one. Weather on the day a big factor. Companies like Velo Ventoux run organised trips.