Training plan

thebikeboy16
thebikeboy16 Posts: 108
edited September 2016 in Training, fitness and health
I need a training plan. I am currently cycling about 10-12 hours a week... something that will get me through autumn and build enough fitness for a competitive time in a sportive next year. Any suggested ones I can use?

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Some detail would help..
  • Various coaching business provide training plans, most are off the shelf ready made plans. We do them too although ours are customised based on a quick questionnaire:
    http://www.rstsport.com/training/
  • Do you have a power meter? Do you just use a HRM?

If you have a PM then just buy a training peaks Base training plan and reuse it (not affiliated). Sounds like you're in a rush.

If money is tight then buy the training bible, download golden cheetah and try to self coach.
  • Errrr... no do not use HRM. What is a PM? What is golden cheetah?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Trainerroad.
  • Errrr... no do not use HRM. What is a PM? What is golden cheetah?
    Fenix wrote:
    Trainerroad.

Whats a turbo?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    What is a competitive time in a (non-competitive) sportive?
  • My last sportive featured a pub stop. Thats how competative they are!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    MrB123 wrote:
    What is a competitive time in a (non-competitive) sportive?
    I know it's fashionable to bash people wanting a good time in a sportive, but like marathons or 10k runs most people want to post a good time and I don't see what's wrong with that...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yeah but Marathons and 10k's are races....

Sportives aren't.

If you want to race - do it properly - be it RR or TT's.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    My last sportive featured a pub stop. Thats how competative they are!

Was it a race to be last and avoid the round, or first to quench your first?

Serious note, I suggest there are so many sites offering you will be spoilt for choice, though you may wish to pay for this at a better time and let it lead up to the sportive. Spend the next few months resting then put base miles and some interval sessions in, before hitting a plan.

Unless you want to pay for a coaching plan that lasts the space of time from now to then.

Yours in ignorance
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • bobmcstuff
    Fenix wrote:

Sportives aren't.

Except plenty of sportives issue gold medal times etc., the last 100mile one I did (actually the same one HD did, but I didnt have a pub stop!) gave you a different certificate for doing sub 8 hours, sub 7 hours and sub 6 hours. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get a good time on a sportive - people do them for the challenge...
  • imposter2.0
    Except he hasn't clarified how far the sportive is, when it is (apart from being 'next year') and what he considers to be a competitive time. So on the info he has provided, nobody can give him a useful answer.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Sportives aren't.

Except plenty of sportives issue gold medal times etc., the last 100mile one I did (actually the same one HD did, but I didnt have a pub stop!) gave you a different certificate for doing sub 8 hours, sub 7 hours and sub 6 hours. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get a good time on a sportive - people do them for the challenge...

is the certificate laminated?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Does it get presented in assembly? :p
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Friel's Training Bible
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AWE96CW? ... nkCode=kpe
    is as good a place to start for any new rider aspiring to get competitive.
    Just delete any references to those chemically enhanced 'athletes' that still get a mention in it.

There is just a huge gulf between sportives and actual racing, but its best for the individual to experience that for themselves.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Sportives aren't.

is the certificate laminated?

I didn't take one... I don't think they were.

I don't see why people on here feel the need to be arseholes about other people wanting to do "well" by setting a time they consider good in sportives. It's just Internet willy waving.
  • bobmcstuff
    Although obviously pretending it is an actual race is bad. And dangerous.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Exactly.
  • Fenix wrote:

Sportives aren't.

I think a lot of people consider sportives as 100k / 100 mile TTs.
    They might not be full on road races but if you live somewhere this isn't an option they are the closest thing.
  • I need a training plan. I am currently cycling about 10-12 hours a week... something that will get me through autumn and build enough fitness for a competitive time in a sportive next year. Any suggested ones I can use?

Thanks

We offer a whole bunch of plans that'll guide you through three phases (Base/Build/Specialty) of training to prepare you for your goal event. There are three different volumes to cater to the availability you have to train. Feel free to check them out by following this link: TrainerRoad training plans

If you run into any questions or concerns, please drop a line to our support team at support@trainerroad.com. They'll gladly help out. :)

Cheers!

Community Manager at TrainerRoad — Cycling's Most Effective Training System
  • The UCI now runs an annual gran fondo world championships, with qualifier events all around the world.

Whether or not one agrees with the concept is one matter, but they are most definitely run as races with race officials, timing, prizes, winner's jerseys. In some European countries fondos are raced and there are teams dedicated to winning them.

There is also a doping problem in fondo competition.
  • What detail do you have mind? The sportive is 100 miles. Arn't most sportives that distance? The time I am aiming for is less than 4:30. I tend to ride on my own and I am not a club cyclist.

I own a copy of the training bible. Unless I'm mistaken it doesn't have a ready-made off the shelf plan in it.. why recommend paying for something before recommending something for free? Is there a website for cyclists which I can use à la Hill Higdon?
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    If you really are expecting to complete 100 miles on a road bike on open roads on your own in less than 4.30 I dont think you really need training advice....
  • imposter2.0
    What detail do you have mind? The sportive is 100 miles. Arn't most sportives that distance? The time I am aiming for is less than 4:30. I tend to ride on my own and I am not a club cyclist.

I own a copy of the training bible. Unless I'm mistaken it doesn't have a ready-made off the shelf plan in it.. why recommend paying for something before recommending something for free? Is there a website for cyclists which I can use à la Hill Higdon?

No, some sportives are that distance, while many are not. Some are longer, some are shorter. But the dictionary definition of a 'sportive' (if there is one) is definitely not a ride of 100 miles.

The sort of detail which would be useful - given that we now have a target distance and a target time - would be the kind of distances and efforts you are doing now, and how much time you have available to train.

As above though, 100 miles at an average of +22mph is - well, lets just say it's ambitious.
  • bobmcstuff
    Plenty of sportives at 100km (62 miles) as well as 100 miles (and a load of other distances as well).

Even if it's pan flat 100 miles in 4.5 hours is a quick time. 100km in 4.5 hours sounds more plausible for a solo rider but then again isn't exactly fast. Did a relatively flat/rolling 100 miler 2 weeks ago in 4h57 and that was with the second half as a chaingang... Think the average speed was about 33km/h which would be pretty fast for a solo rider, if you're managing 35+km/h over 100+ miles you should give some time trials or races a go as you might get on well!!

In regards to an actual training plan I think if you're coming off no plan then adding some structure and discipline in makes massive improvements, or it did for me anyway. I did the Time Crunched Cyclist experienced century plan in Jan/Feb 2015 having not done anything like that before and was doing my best ever riding in March/April that year (unfortunately then had an enforced 6 weeks off the bike).
  • I need a training plan. I am currently cycling about 10-12 hours a week... something that will get me through autumn and build enough fitness for a competitive time in a sportive next year. Any suggested ones I can use?

Thanks

Last december I signed up for the Fred Whitton, to give myself some motivation. I divided the preparation in three chunks:

1) Weight loss, I needed to lose a stone at least.... so diet and moderate riding

2) technical work from March, so lots of hills, shortish rides (40-50 miles top), Easter was early, so I took advantage of a trip to Italy to do some proper climbs

3) distance: April was all about riding metric and imperial centuries, weather was awful at first, but very good in the second half

I did 10 days of tapering

Next year I am doing the Etape Du Dales, which is similar, hopefully I can skip part 1 and ideally swap part 2 with part 3... the problem is doing centuries in March is not always possible, with bad weather and shorter days... need a bit of luck.

You need to budget for 10-15 days of tapering before theevent, so it is really down to when your events are as you need to do everything you have set out to do before tapering
    left the forum March 2023
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    What detail do you have mind? The sportive is 100 miles. Arn't most sportives that distance? The time I am aiming for is less than 4:30. I tend to ride on my own and I am not a club cyclist.

Training is not all about plans, some knowledge as to why you are doing things helps.
    You sound a real joy to be around... hence you end up riding alone a lot.
    Cycling is also about a bit of camaraderie in what is still a minority sport/ activity.
  • I am more than a joy to be around. I am a delight to be around. Cold I am not. What is a minority sport?

The sportive is Ride London so not really that ambitious. I consider sportives to be either 100km/100 miles. Thanks for the advice. Yes, they come in many distances. I have up to 15 hours to train a week although that would be a struggle. There seems to a be a lack of training plans online.
    • What detail do you have mind? The sportive is 100 miles. Arn't most sportives that distance? The time I am aiming for is less than 4:30. I tend to ride on my own and I am not a club cyclist.

No it doesn't have a ready made off the shelf plan.

All it has are the complete resources and information you need to develop a pretty decent plan for your own circumstances.

It would take less than an hour to delve through the relevant chapters and figure out and write down something appropriate for you.