Virus loaded ad redirects

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
Hi.
Had a second redirect from the commuting thread forum on a second device, something is definatley up.

Trying to get the pictures uploaded to share to you.
Its taking over the tab for bike radar.
Both devices reported clean with McAfee av and avast av.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• Screenshot_20160904-064828_zpslumtwjyo.png

And

Screenshot_20160904-064730_zpsxwfwga9t.png

Closing page resulted in attempts to get me there my phone.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Thanks for this.

Have passed onto the team and we'll get rid of this asap.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • joshjevans wrote:
    Thanks for this.

Have passed onto the team and we'll get rid of this asap.

No worries. I'll let you know if I have any more.

That last one was particularly nasty redirect, ended up with 14 tabs loaded, all with various junk / "device updates" etc and an APK being downloaded.. :S
  • Eurgh, sorry about this!

Dev team have created a ticket for this so hopefully resolved asap.

Thanks again.
  • Just hit another one after clicking a link on twitter to your 'suck at repairs' page

Screenshot_20160906-134934_zpsgpufdx1y.png
  • Thanks, apologies again.
  • And another.

This one hit the content warning of my mobile provider, always fun :rolleyes:
    Screenshot_20160909-104808_zpstw7oaaqp.png
  • Gah. And another.
    Screenshot_20160909-112813_zpsicwauunk.png
  • I've been getting those too but from another site (you can relax Joshevans). Ended up getting windows up mentioning potatoes of all things. Well it was an American food site so some logic there I guess.

Would these involve some nasties being put on your device? My av didn't find anything but since it's my phone I'm kind of worried what's been put on it.
  • Ha, thanks!

I have ad ops investigating whether it is our end or not too.
  • Oh the irony.

I always and only get them after visiting a br page, and it kicks in about 6 seconds after the page loads. At the moment don't appear to be virus loading, but I might be catching them in the process of loading,

Screenshot_20160909-121600_zpspvqluri9.png

Screenshot_20160909-121635_zpsgmhkvjuw.png
  • They've evolved.
    Now a data: redirect, had two of them.

Screenshot_20160912-050023_zpsbi8llg0p.png

Screenshot_20160912-050107_zpsxwfbidbb.png

Still believe they are from here, use phone all day, only appear after a br visit.
  • Screenshot_20160911-141447_zpsnf2abxhf.png
  • 2 more just after signing in to the forum.
    1 definatley NSFW.
  • Hi
    Just to confirm im now 36 hours without incident, without changing anything on my phone, so still think it was BR.
    Cheers:-)
  • I had some on my Android phone yesterday when I went to the pro-race sub forum.
    It was claiming to be the Google Awards Programme, usual free phone/tablet guff.
    Defo something naughty on the site.
  • Cheers guys, still waiting to hear back from ad ops.
  • Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    You guys have a major problem with the ad network you're using and rogue advertisers.
    Its almost impossible to view the forum now on my android device as every 3 or 4 clicks brings up a bad ad which kills your own site and leaves me just with the rogue ads.

screen.jpg
  • Wow, that's really odd. That's exactly the type of behaviour I was seeing, but it's now disappeared.
    I dwonder if the code was clever enough to detect it running through a proxy and abort. I'll keep watch!
  • If anyone is suffering from this and feels slightly techy, I'm sure Josh would appreciate detailed information.
    The best way to get this is to perform a 'man in the middle's attack against it, for which you'll need another PC you can put on the same WiFi network as the phone.

I used fiddler4 software proxy for this (www.fiddler2.com) and set up the WiFi on the phone to proxy through that installation.
    If you need help setting it up, holler and I'll try and write a detailed guide.
  • Thanks for the info guys and sorry about this.

I am chasing answers!
  • I get the same on BR on my iphone, several redirects to adds offering me phone upgrades etc.

Cant go back a page so have to shut off the browser.

It isn't when I click on adds either because I don't bother with them or the clickbait at the bottom of the page. Just standard topic links within the forum.

I'll screenshot it next time and post it up.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Im gwtting this more and more.
    Samsung galaxy s6
  • Thanks HD.

Ads thought they had resolved the issue but clearly not!

Any screenshots etc is very helpful.
  • For info I have been having the same issue for the last week or so. I only get the issue on this forum. Complete takeover of browser, when I try to go back or close it down more pop ups appear.
  • Just had another data redirect.
    Will go back to running fiddler over the weekend where possible.
  • And another redirecter
    URL incoming
  • Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    I've had to stop visiting here on mobile because of the rogue ads. Once the ads trigger, Mediaserver on Android runs at almost 50% on my Galaxy S7 which makes the phone incredibly hot and kills the battery in a couple of hours.

I thought my phone had a fault with this issue and even got Samsung/ EE tech support involved, but it turns out it was these ads triggering Mediaserver's high usage :(
  • Mattcee wrote:
    I've had to stop visiting here on mobile because of the rogue ads. Once the ads trigger, Mediaserver on Android runs at almost 50% on my Galaxy S7 which makes the phone incredibly hot and kills the battery in a couple of hours.

I thought my phone had a fault with this issue and even got Samsung/ EE tech support involved, but it turns out it was these ads triggering Mediaserver's high usage :(

Yep had the same with the battery issue. Seriously considering an adblock installation on the mobile just for this site.
  • Haha, Loving the ad removing software autocorrect above. (between the **'s)

Anwyay - yet another data :base64 again.