Clear Glasses

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
After getting hit by a bee fair and square on my eyeball this morning (I shut my eye in time) I've decided I need to get some clear glasses.

I seem to remember a few saying Screwfix Bolle ones are just the job. There's quite a few Bolle glasses on the Screwfix website, can anyone recommend which ones? Don't want anything too big.

TIA. Mark

Comments

• More importantly, can anyone recommend clear glasses that don't look...awful?

It's that time of year where I'm gonna need to consider getting another pair soon. Cheap £15 Endura ones were my last lot before they got scratched, I'll probably end up with them again unless I see some good recommendations?
  • I've got a set of the Aldi Crane glasses, seems pretty good for the money, meets the EN spec, and comes with 4 difference lenses for 4.99 I think.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • BigMat wrote:
    Decathlon Arenberg

Heard good things about these, I "think" it was via a road.cc reviewer.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    BigMat wrote:
    Decathlon Arenberg

Heard quite a lot about these, I "think" it was a road.cc reviewer.

I used their yellow ones alot - not only protect the eyes but permanently make it look like summer...! And light enough that I never needed to use the clear ones. I also used the darker ones but now have some fancy photochromic Tifosi glasses instead. The Decathlon ones were very good though and comfy.
  • Mmm, need to look at the Decathlon ones I think, shame it's an hour + round trip to my closest store.
  • Another recommendation for the Decathlon ones (I also like the yellow ones)
    I have found Bolle Rush safety glasses to be good.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Mmm, need to look at the Decathlon ones I think, shame it's an hour + round trip to my closest store.

they deliver (i think)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Bolle Contour are pretty good.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It's a strong Heston Blumenthal look but I have the FWE Helios, so far so good and a big improvement from the Bolle safety specs I've used for a few years. The problem with the safety specs is that they don't sit right for aggressive riding, cycling specific is much better in that regard.

FWE Altair or FWE Helios
    https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-altair- ... y-EV272343
    https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-helios- ... s-EV272344
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Bolle Contour are pretty good.
    Seconded. I picked up the full set (clear, light tint & full tint) at work. Light, comfortable and no tears when scratched/broken/lost.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    BigMat wrote:
    Decathlon Arenberg

yep +1 in fact i bought the clear and yellow for cloudy overcast or as we call it here in Windshire everyday, very minimal size and weight, cheap as at £3.99
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Mmm, need to look at the Decathlon ones I think, shame it's an hour + round trip to my closest store.

they deliver (i think)

if you need to make up an order I recommend the clear and yellow version and their amazing cassette removal tool, just bizarre that no one else came up with this design years ago.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I don't like the arenberg (or the old bolle contours I got actually) because they've got no grip on the nose peices.

I have a particularly dainty and attractive nose, and need a rubber gripper to save me having to push my glasses up my nose like a geek in a teen movie every five minutes. Infact I had some Salice glasses that also slipped down even with the rubber bits.

I've got some cheap decathlon 2 lens glasses that are good, but the lenses are a bit small and don't offer quite enough protection. I'm currently using some knock off radars after I stupidly sold my proper radars and they're great, but not clear enough. Might get a proper clear lens for the winter.

In summary, try em on first.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Bolle Contour are pretty good.

I've just "borrowed" a pair of these. Fantastic. Edit - they are a Bolle Silium SILPSI Clear
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Couldn't be bothered to make the 1 hour round trip to Decathlon so ended up ordering these from Chain Reaction.

Wore them this morning and very impressed for the money. Good fit and look good too (apart from my face behind them but hey ho).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/uvex ... -prod76476
  • itboffin wrote:
    and their amazing cassette removal tool, just bizarre that no one else came up with this design years ago.

Is this the one you are talking about? I've just been looking for a new chain whip after mine broke but this looks a lot more practical and sturdy. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip-c ... 09913.html
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    and their amazing cassette removal tool, just bizarre that no one else came up with this design years ago.

Is this the one you are talking about? I've just been looking for a new chain whip after mine broke but this looks a lot more practical and sturdy. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip-c ... 09913.html

Yep,, that's the one. It's on my order list when I return to DC next week.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    prawny wrote:
    I have a particularly dainty and attractive nose, and need a rubber gripper to save me having to push my glasses up my nose like a geek in a teen movie every five minutes. Infact I had some Salice glasses that also slipped down even with the rubber bits.

Bollé Axis have a rubber nose grip and angle-adjustable arms.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

It is quite simply the best cassette removal tool there is. I've converted about half a dozen cyclists around here to this device - big win is the near impossibility of it slipping and you skinning your knuckles. The fact that it will probably survive a zombie apocalypse too is a bonus.
  • I got a pair of blue-tint Endura Spectrals for £15 - they really brighten up a dull morning, are fine in the dark and have a funky coating.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-spectral-glasses-antifog/rp-prod26714
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • It is quite simply the best cassette removal tool there is. I've converted about half a dozen cyclists around here to this device - big win is the near impossibility of it slipping and you skinning your knuckles. The fact that it will probably survive a zombie apocalypse too is a bonus.

It does look like a bit of genius design. Think I'll be getting one of those as getting the chain whip to engage when removing a cassette is always a pain. Its not even expensive. :)
  • mudcovered wrote:
    It does look like a bit of genius design. Think I'll be getting one of those as getting the chain whip to engage when removing a cassette is always a pain. Its not even expensive. :)
    Stop thinking, just buy one :mrgreen:
  • itboffin
    Prhymeate wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yep,, that's the one. It's on my order list when I return to DC next week.

Yep that's it, amazing bit of kit everyone should have