Front Hydro Brake

AdamJonezy
AdamJonezy Posts: 9
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

My Hydraulic front brake doesnt work at all. Pull the lever and doesnt even move the pads slightly. Isit totally dead or is it something as simple as there's no fluids? New to hydraulic brakes so thought id ask on here first. Oh and its te HAYES SO1E set. Came with the bike.

Thanks, Jonezy

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the pad doesn't move at all then it doesn't have enough fluid. Only one pad moves with Soles (hence the name).

Presumably they used to work, in which case you have a fluid leak which is probably terminal for the brake.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks mate. So I need to try find if it's leaking. Do you know which fluid I will need? Il top it up first and see if that works then.
    Might change the hoses for white ones are they easy to change?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hayes will be DOT fluid. 4 or 5.1, doesn't matter which - just get some cheap from Halfords.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks mate. Will go get some over weekend.
  • The Rookie
    Do you have a bleed kit?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No mate. How much are they?
  • The Rookie
    http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/produ ... its/hayes/

Or you can do what I do and use a syringe with a rubber hose and just mop up the excess as it comes out the lever.
  • Isit easy enough to do with just a syringe and bit of hose? What diameter hose do i need? Sorry for all the questions total newb haha
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe it's easier to buy the right kit and follw Epic's instructions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Good point mate. Might just order it suppose its only just over a £10er and will save a lot of messing about
  • The Hayes Sole has a bleed plug on the master cylinder. This can sometimes pop out if you have adjusted the front pads or installed new ones. Double check the plug is still there.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/haye ... -prod20129

Its a stupid design.
  • Il have a look later and see if it is still there mate. Thanks