Maybe New Bikey Time

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
Been looking at the Planet X London Road and the On One Bish Bash Bosh....any experiences with these?

Thinking 1 x 11 and hydraulic discs. First up the London Road is cheaper than the BB Bosh but is aluminium versus carbon...any ideas why it's lighter? Maybe just weighing different frame sizes.

Still loving my Boardman CX and have had 15K happy miles on it, just need something different.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Different groupset, different wheelset, different tyres (one is 40c so probably pretty weighty)
    Just different
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Think I was comparing the same groupset (Rival), but yes tyres, forgot that.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    One was hydro brakes and one was mechanical, so probably some difference in the cables and calipers
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I looked at both hydraulic. Must be the tyres and maybe frame size weighed I reckon?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... -road-bike

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOBBBRIV ... ravel-bike
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I was looking at the Bish Bash Bosh too, I think there's a fair chance it will be better than the london road, I've heard a few stories of poor QC with that one (new for PX!) Both are kind of winter/gravel/cx bikes, I think the BBB looks loads better too.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Got myself a Jamis Renegade Expert a couple of months ago. I had a look at the Bish Bash Bosh and was attracted to it, but it weighs a ton for a carbon bike. I would expect under 10kg for it.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • http://grit.cx/reviews/rated-on-one-bis ... nture-bike

Grit were complimentary. FWIW I find the ride on my SuperX a lot better than my outgoing XLS which was a bit dead. So this review seems to suggest a great frame.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I think my Pickenflick (still such a stupid name, it's embarrassing when people ask me what it is at lights, not a common occurrence, but common enough) was £1,300 in a sale last year - which seems to be the current price of the bish bash bosh. Mine is standard Rival 22 though, not 1x.

I understand that carbon melts in the rain, and Ti doesn't...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    hopkinb wrote:
    No, Ti cracks and creaks :P
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Yes, Ti gets brittle, especially in the cold, and is prone to cracks. I know, I've had one crack up underneath me...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    rower63 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Yes, Ti gets brittle, especially in the cold, and is prone to cracks. I know, I've had one crack up underneath me...

:P :P Mine is currently clicking, not creaking. Though creaking can't be far away.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    rower63 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Tell it worse jokes.......

My second PX LR frame has had to go back as defective, I'm already building it with a 31.8mm seatpost shim (using a 27.2mm post so a shim was needed anyway) as the 'correct' 31.6 post is like a pencil in a shirt sleeve.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    The Rookie wrote:
    rower63 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Tell it worse jokes.......
    Too early in the morning, I had to read that 3 times before it sunk in. :lol:
    The number of disc braked bikes with decent clearance has increased dramatically since I got my Kinesis, and even more so since the Boardman. But I look at them all and find nothing that would warrant changing from what I have other than new bike envy. All the talk about different standard of axle and brake mounts is nonsense. My bike has QR wheels and post mount brakes, neither of which are going to go away for a very long time. I'm not convinced a through axle is needed on a rigid fork, although it does seem to make more of a difference on a suspension fork.
  • Been looking at the Planet X London Road and the On One Bish Bash Bosh....any experiences with these?

Thinking 1 x 11 and hydraulic discs. First up the London Road is cheaper than the BB Bosh but is aluminium versus carbon...any ideas why it's lighter? Maybe just weighing different frame sizes.

Still loving my Boardman CX and have had 15K happy miles on it, just need something different.
    The London Road has got rack and mudguard mounts too if that's of any benefit to you?
    In case opinions of strangers matter, I really like my LR!
  • BigMonka wrote:
    Been looking at the Planet X London Road and the On One Bish Bash Bosh....any experiences with these?

The London Road has got rack and mudguard mounts too if that's of any benefit to you?
    In case opinions of strangers matter, I really like my LR!
    Actually the On-one website says that it does have mounts, I just couldn't see any on the pictures.

If you look at the frame only option it has the weights:
    London Road: frame, 1540g, forks 780g, total 2320g
    BBB: frame weight: 1250g (not sure if that includes the fork, and if not what the fork weighs).
  • Not a useful contribution (because £££) but about a month ago I saw someone riding an orange OPEN U.P. on the Embankment. Immediately thought "that is a good looking frame" - arrived at work, hit google to find that it was designed by Gerard Vrooman (hence £££). Having had a look at his 3T Exploro, he has a very distinctive and attractive design.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Got myself a Jamis Renegade Expert a couple of months ago. I had a look at the Bish Bash Bosh and was attracted to it, but it weighs a ton for a carbon bike. I would expect under 10kg for it.

I would expect 8 Kg to be honest... anything more defies the point of spending extra for carbon
    left the forum March 2023
  • BigMonka wrote:

If you look at the frame only option it has the weights:
    London Road: frame, 1540g, forks 780g, total 2320g
    BBB: frame weight: 1250g (not sure if that includes the fork, and if not what the fork weighs).

It doesn't... full carbon forks for disc are all around 450-500 grams
  • Not a useful contribution (because £££) but about a month ago I saw someone riding an orange OPEN U.P. on the Embankment. Immediately thought "that is a good looking frame" - arrived at work, hit google to find that it was designed by Gerard Vrooman (hence £££). Having had a look at his 3T Exploro, he has a very distinctive and attractive design.

Have you seen the distinctive price?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    About the same as Cervelo
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Yes to the OPEN. Just looked up the 3T - Exploro Team is similar to the OPEN.

Too few £ signs in my post?

Thing with these "one bike to do it all" concepts is that if you really want to switch between a crit and some off road, you're looking at a wheel change and a crankset change. And maybe a chain change too. Not super convenient.

But the OPEN looks gorgeous in the flesh. And I've heard the 3T does too.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gabriel959
    The Open Up+ and the 3T look great, but my Jamis is very similar and the full bike cost me less than half of the cost of the frame only of the Open Up+. Heck you could buy the Elite which has got a better frame, Ultegra and Hydraulics, some good finishing kit, including American Classic wheels for a bit more than the cost of the frame of the Open Up+ or the 3T.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Yes to the OPEN. Just looked up the 3T - Exploro Team is similar to the OPEN.

Too few £ signs in my post?

Thing with these "one bike to do it all" concepts is that if you really want to switch between a crit and some off road, you're looking at a wheel change and a crankset change. And maybe a chain change too. Not super convenient.

But the OPEN looks gorgeous in the flesh. And I've heard the 3T does too.
    I have an OPEN O-1.0 MTB frame, which is a fabulous thing. Bare frame weight was 870 gms. Built into a Road Fat Bike at the moment, with a rigid fork, some 2" slicks, and 1x10 gearing. The largest chainring I could fit to get decent chain line and minimal noise is a 40T, so am limited to 40/11 which is plenty for my riding around.

It's awesome. 8)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • This.

29459416410_3ac10be378_k.jpg
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    The Open Up+ and the 3T look great, but my Jamis is very similar and the full bike cost me less than half of the cost of the frame only of the Open Up+. Heck you could buy the Elite which has got a better frame, Ultegra and Hydraulics, some good finishing kit, including American Classic wheels for a bit more than the cost of the frame of the Open Up+ or the 3T.

Isn't this just the same as saying "All bike frames are the same. The expensive ones are a con. But the cheapest you can. Although some are better than others. Just not those ones."?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    You might also want to change the cassette for a wider range, that could mean a longer cage rear mech. What about putting bouncy forks on the front and some flat bars?
    It's a fair point and they will never be quite as good as a dedicated bike built for the job. But for most people most of the time they do a bloody good job. My Kinesis is great for me on road. I am the limiting factor there. Off road it could probably do almost everything I can, but I'm not good enough. A dedicated MTB with bouncy forks, even fatter tyres and wider bars is easier for a buffoon like me to handle.
    But yes, that Open is rather nice.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 wrote:

Isn't this just the same as saying "All bike frames are the same. The expensive ones are a con. But the cheapest you can. Although some are better than others. Just not those ones."?

Not really, I am pretty sure the Open Up or the Cervelo are better frames, but are they that much better? If I was millionaire I would probably buy one of those, but have a mortgage, 2 kids, and normal bills to pay like most over here. I do have the money to buy the Open Up but I would have a very difficult time to justify it to myself, seeing as I can buy a bike (and the Jamis isn't the only one) for a 1/3 of the cost of the Open Up+. Of course if you want to buy it, fine, there is definitely a market in today's world (where cycling is the sport en vogue) for these bikes.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x