Cyclocross 2016/17

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited January 2017 in Pro race
Yep, that time of year again when the proper men/women come out to play

Give you a million euros if you guess who won the first 2 races...

http://www.cxmagazine.com/wout-van-aert ... ts-belgium

The first UCI World Cup will be CrossVegas next wednesday, followed immediatly by JingleCross in Iowa at the weekend
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    It's hard to look past Wout; his performances on the road Have been impressive, and set him up for the new season. Have just finished watching the Geraardsbergen Cross on You Tube.
    Van der Poel is probably his only challenger, and Van der Haar switches teams mid season I think. ( from Giant- Alpecin to Sven's Telenet-Fidea)

How long can Wout resist the road offers? Even though he says he's concentrating on Cross.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • He's done a bit of riding on the road hasn't he? Did he win a Belgian (very) semi classic?
  • NO NOT YET !

You know the rules - Lombardy - then two weeks of wind down and introspection - then that 'what shall we do now' hollow feeling

THEN it's cross talk

THEN it's 'what race does the road season start with'

and of course the MY MAN selection process commences
  • ddraver
    Nah, you ve got to watch Cross Vegas for the "Oh my god dude, J-Pow's gonna like totally smash it this ye...

oh he's 24th..."
    - @ddraver
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    And the MY LADY? If Jolien Verschueren gets her starts sorted she'll be winning a lot more.
    Of course those in the know will probably have been saying this for a year or two.

'15/16 was my first year following cx so go easy on me ;)
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • ddraver
    It was she who Cant outsprinted at the weekend. She does seem to start a season very well....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    For those of you further west, or like me right now, unable to sleep. CrossVegas starts in 2 hours.

Probably more sensible to catch it tomorrow morning tho...

Can't see past van Aerts and Can't (if she's there) but bring on the...erm...rock hard grass and fake sand
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Woke up and put it on with about 5 laps to go..... at the moment he's in a different league.

MvDP & LvDH need to hurry back....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    Great win by Sophie! Played for and got for her.

I think the van der triplets live rent free in everyone else's head to the point where they just don't even try to beat them any more...
    - @ddraver
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    you do know there is a whole cyclocross section in the forum viewforum.php?f=40114
  • ddraver
    Yes, yes I do

but it's not Pro Racing is it (or where we ve had the CX thread for the past 10 years)

Christ :roll:
    - @ddraver
  • tim000
    fair point , not having a go . just wasn`t sure if people knew about it . I only tend to look at the pro race and general sections. the more cross posts the better ;-)
  • The cyclocross season doesn't really start until they finish with the shoot races and get back to Europe. I hope vdP gets back to fitness because I'm hoping to see some good duels at the front. Despite him not winning the champs, he was by far and away the best rider last year. I'd like to see Cant time her season properly for a change as well.
  • tim000
    is he injured again ? only started watching cross last winter as I had just bought a cross bike . I know he had a knee injury .
  • ddraver
    A few are starting in Iowa at the weekend too. Helen Wyman was telling Sven on twitter (as one does), that she saw no point in going to CrossVegas to a course that doesnt suit her to finish in the lowly top ten or teens to make 250EUR...
    - @ddraver
  • http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-aer ... world-cup/

I was wondering if Van Aert had any injuries from his crash, looks like he's broken his toe.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    ddraver wrote:
    A few are starting in Iowa at the weekend too. Helen Wyman was telling Sven on twitter (as one does), that she saw no point in going to CrossVegas to a course that doesnt suit her to finish in the lowly top ten or teens to make 250EUR...

She was there though, non?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    dish_dash wrote:

She was there though, non?

No, she wasn't. I'm surprised Kona don't insist she rides given they are a US company.

She's racing in the Jingle Cross WC race in Iowa this weekend though.
  • tim000
    live stream from iowa tonight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-jGB7Wvhw
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Ian Field was 11th, his best WC result so far in his career.
  • ddraver
    I'm standing in the middle of a muddy field at a cycling event in autumn but it's not CX...

Anyway, yep, great result for Ian!!

Sorry meine needs to tell the others that it's ok to beat WvA...
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm standing in the middle of a muddy field at a cycling event in autumn but it's not CX...

He's given them a chance in both races to win; and none of them have taken it. He lost about 20-30 seconds in both races...and still won 'easily'.

Well done to Ian Field on an excellent 11th place. Maybe one day British cycling will take CX seriously...rather than just road & track..
  • tim000
    AndyRAC wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

He's given them a chance in both races to win; and none of them have taken it. He lost about 20-30 seconds in both races...and still won 'easily'.

Well done to Ian Field on an excellent 11th place. Maybe one day British cycling will take CX seriously...rather than just road & track..
    not until it`s in the Olympics. love to see it get into the winter olympics
  • Can we add links to race videos to this thread? I find them so hard to find, scouring around for coverage of the races
  • tim000
    UCI channel on youtube has live races and they stay on there so you can watch anytime https://www.youtube.com/user/ucichannel
  • ddraver
    World Cups are easy as they re all on the Free to watch UCI channel. The rest of them will be your illegal Sporza Stream...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Crosshairs Radio currently has a great interview with His Royal Svenness which is a really great listen. He's a really interesting guy and talks about what he's doing this season and then they look back, with clips, of Koksijde (The long missing Disguntled Goat and I were lucky enough to witness that in person) and also discusses the World Champs last year.

It's a cracking episode of the best (the only) podcast (TTDTIE epidodes) that covers Pro CX.
    - @ddraver
  • It was a really interesting interview - thanks for posting about it. I must admit, I've stopped taking any notice of In the crosshairs and I think it's a shame that there's all this emphasis about growing cx in the USA when really there's a lot of work to be done in Europe. CX is massive in England and Wales, but needs some help in taking it up a level - we could have had ten top class races over here for the cost of 2 WCs in the US. So yeah, sorry Sven, I'm with Van der Poel.
  • The coverage of the Superprestige was incredible at the weekend, and it got me thinking about how much money is in CX.

Clearly there's a market for it in Belgium, but how much do the likes of WVA and AVDP make in a season?