9 speed cassette options?

avalanche_expert
avalanche_expert Posts: 177
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
Hi guys, I've recently bought a Boardman Hybrid for commuting to work with when the off road routes are too boggy for using my MTB before a day at work. Arriving covered in mud isn't really the way to go!

I'm really happy with the Boardman it seems to be a nice compromise as a road bike yet still manage with short dirt/light gravel paths ok. Plus I like the flat bars, hydraulic discs etc... I've got full mud guards fitted as well, so it's ideal.

However I'm not very happy with the gearing. It has a compact 50/34 Chain set upfront, with a MTB 34-11 9 speed cassette at the rear. I find it quite inefficient trying to accelerate with a consistent effort and to carry a high cruising speed on the bike as it feels like big jumps between gears when shifting at the rear. I feel as though I'm either spinning or grinding with very little in between for a comfortable cadence which still carries a bit of speed.

It currently has 34-30-26-23-20-17-15-13-11 on the rear, I'm finding the jumps between, 26-23-20-17 too excessive. I don't really need a 34t cog either as I'm not using the bike for hills. Would a 30-11 or a 27-12 be a better choice for smooth quick acceleration and cruising?

Thanks chaps.

Comments

• Yes, but MTB derailleur work better with a 34-36 large cog. However, the 11-30 will be just fine, although the jumps are not much different to be fair
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm running a 12-28 on my commuter with an MTB rear mech with no issues.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I'm running a 12-28 on my commuter with an MTB rear mech with no issues.

Great just what I want to hear thanks!
  • I've fitted a 25-13 cassette to it now. It seems much more suited to how I'm using the bike. I expect to see my average speed increase a little now as my cadence/effort feels more consistent.

Seems like a good switch so far!