sunday, all the power's in the hands, of people rich enough to buy it

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited September 2016 in The bottom bracket
'ning

the rain has stopped, seems to be extremely nippy out though, less than 20 celsius!

maybe add a cafe stop or two, with perhaps some madeleines in lieu of donut to get the extra calories needed for such harsh conditions
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• 'noon

T'was a beautiful day here, so much so I had to snooze in the sun by the pool for a while. This was interrupted by cool beverages, then lunch and a coffee.

Took it easy for the rest of the day. Even the short session on the turbo was done at an entirely leisurely tempo so as not to break a sweat.

I believe the bar has just opened downstairs.. "Laters" as they say..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Feck Saturday was good, so I need to sleep soon
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,159
    edited September 2016
    Beautiful September morning so took the hound for a walk and mull thing over. In laws will be descending later as they need to go see the MiL's body down at the mortuary. Now chilling with a big mug of coffee and trying to rearrange my next Wales trip - might look just a tad insensitive if I bugger off for an uplift day next week...

Sport on the box later. Footy, and the Paralympics which I am really getting into.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Coffee. Toast. Swimming. Lunch. Soft play area. Pie 'n' mash. Evening walk with Toots 1. That's about it really.
    Monday pedal. Tuesday bank visit for PPP loan. I really can't sustain inordinate and indefinite shirking... or can I?

Laters.

PS Would it make any difference Stevo? :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    PS Would it make any difference Stevo? :wink:
    I did mull over the 'Dr. Pepper' scenario but decided that it wasn't worth it, partly for the sake of future negotiations on gravity trips. Short term pain for long term gain and all that :) That and my riding buddy said he was now a doubtful due to work.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    Pinno wrote:
    I really can't sustain inordinate and indefinite shirking... or can I?

go for it

i remember as a teen being asked what i wanted to do when i grew up, answer: get as much as possible for doing as little as possible

caused great hilarity, i've not entirely managed it, but i try, though really i never grew up either :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

go for it

i remember as a teen being asked what i wanted to do when i grew up, answer: get as much as possible for doing as little as possible

caused great hilarity, i've not entirely managed it, but i try, though really i never grew up either :)
    Sounds like youre an ideal consultant :wink:
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Fed the dog, spent a few minutes incognito, played Fallout 4.
  • pinno
    edited September 2016
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

go for it

I was always given the impression that adulthood was something to look forward to. "When you grow up you can have this and that and do such n such..." Don't you believe it. What utter bollox they fed you. If growing up means loosing one's sense of humour, making the 'right decision', 'acting responsibly', 'doing the right thing', then you can stuff your growing up.

I wanted to be a professional sports person. Missed the cut for Warwickshire trials by 2 months. A peer of mine got in ahead of me despite not having nearly as good stats. He lasted 2 months and came home. Played snooker till I was skint. Couldn't get a junior concession for practising on my own in the middle of the day at the local and only snooker hall when there was nobody there, despite promises and my face didn't fit. I worked on a farm, evenings and weekends and every penny I earned was spent at the snooker hall - bunked off school. Never got any help from parents. Mum was not well off and rich (distant) Dad thought that it was a trivial pursuit and a complete waste of money.

I used to get home by bike and put up the table and from 4.15pm until 2am (bar some washing up), I would practice. Mum banned me from playing in the evening for a while because I wasn't doing school work - I had zero interest, so I got up at 5 am and played 3 hours before school. She got fed up of the racket and had to let me play in the evening.
    When I got daan saaf, it was a different ball game. Got accepted in the 3rd team (of 7) at the Snooker hall. Played well and then got promoted to the 2nd (we won the Sussex league ahead of the first team). I competed at a high amateur level but unfortunately, it was a little late as I needed the practice between the age of 14 and 18 as instead had to settle at that time for my warped 6 foot table at home.

I really feel let down especially since years later I now coach table tennis. Although I never had the natural talent, I had phenomenal determination. Except for one pupil in 8 years of coaching, my determination as a kid, far exceeded anything I have ever come across.

So when I got 'released' out into the real world, I didn't know and still don't know what I would love to do as a job. It never crossed my mind that I might actually have to work for a living when I turned 18.

If you said that I am bitter - I f*cking am. I will get my own full size table one day. Even though it's far too late and I am too old, I want to see what my absolute limit is given 4-5 hours a day constant practice. (in between bike rides). Winter - snooker, summer - bike.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Beautiful day for September and set to hit 30 on Tuesday!

Toots walked, lunched and watered. Locals impressed with my tree climbing prowess. Hairy bikers style roast chicken on the go. All is good.

Position for a new minion opening in April as long as they meet the criteria.

Must be...
    Male,
    5 feet 7 and a quarter,
    Balding,
    Of Kenyan/Scottish origin,
    Talk in long rambling sentences,
    Have a pseudo degree in engineering,
    A like to grumble about aches and pains,
    Have a strong dislike for the Chinese.

If you hear of anyone who fits the bill, let me know :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    What part of 'I don't want a frikkin job and i've never wanted a frikkin job' don't you understand?

Oh and BTW - I'm 5'8.5", size 9. Got it?
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:
    What part of 'I don't want a frikkin job and i've never wanted a frikkin job' don't you understand?

My dad had a 108 break at snooker in the early 70's. Not easy with the tables and balls of that era.

I was snooker mad at 13, member of two clubs and showed promise, then I discovered other hobbies.
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

My dad had a 108 break at snooker in the early 70's. Not easy with the tables and balls of that era.

You're Dad is Eugene Hughes! Yep, heavy beige. Slow. Elliptical balls pre 'Crystalite' era. If you are ever in Stourbridge, my Grandfathers cue is in a glass cabinet at the Snooker hall, previously called the Stourbridge Institute club - Highest break 138, it's marked on the cabinet. Donald Burford.
    Unfortunately, he passed away in 1974 so had no influence on me in terms of coaching. He played during the years of Billiards before snooker became popular. It's amazing the standard of those billiard players and if you ever play on a proper Billiard table with the pearl insets to assist the correct marking for the 'D', middle, pink and black spots, it's as tight as fook. These are the tables that the pro's practice on.
    Had the 'pleasure' of practising on one of them in Cheltenham at the Liberal Club. Only there because the tables were 50p for 20 mins with membership.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon all,
    Traditional slow start was followed by a walk in the park by the river with wife and female child. Managed to lose them on the way back and sneak into the cycle exchange shop and have a quick peak and a shot of coffee. A few nice but rather expensive road bikes. Nothing to tempt me though.
  • Ciao

3 hours into flight delay with boards showing at least another hour and a half.

Oh well, at least we're 1-0 up.....

Ciao
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Well that went really badly really quickly ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    A cool start, a cracking ride with mates. Lunch with my better half, afternoon chilling. All 7 series of The Shield" arrived courtesy of Amazon. The best American cop series ever to be transmitted.

Later is a business call on Skype but grilled sea bass and and dry white to sooth the aching legs prior should set me up nicely for the call.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    Slowmart wrote:
    A cool start, a cracking ride with mates. Lunch with my better half, afternoon chilling. All 7 series of The Shield" arrived courtesy of Amazon. The best American cop series ever to be transmitted.

Better than Hill St Blues?
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:

Oh and BTW - I'm 5'8.5" in my stack heels, leotard size 9. Got it?
    FTFY
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pinno wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Or NYPD Blue?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Or CHiPs?
  • pinno
    Or Magnum Pi?
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    Or Magnum Pi?

Pedant alert!!

Thos wasn't a cop.
  • seanoconn
    Garry H wrote:
    Or CHiPs?
    https://youtu.be/VTDOLoDiOcg
    Enough said
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Or NYPD Blue?
    I'd say, yes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Fooking pedants.
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    Fooking pedants.

:D
  • Not as pedantic as Columbo, the most punchable tv detective ever.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    shield-2005.jpg

Grrrrrrrr
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    sweeney3.jpg