Cycle computer for use on turbo trainer

smudgerii
smudgerii Posts: 125
edited September 2016 in Indoor training and turbo forum
Looking for a computer I can use when I'm on the turbo trainer that will link to Strava. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Unlike outside this is something you can use a smartphone for if you have one.

What sensors do you have and what are you using eg Trainer Road? Zwift?
  • smudgerii
    smudgerii Posts: 125
    Unlike outside this is something you can use a smartphone for if you have one.

What sensors do you have and what are you using eg Trainer Road? Zwift?

Own an apple phone, but don't have any sensors or kit in the bike. I use my garmin vivo watch out on the road but would like to get a comp that covers both turbo and road.
  • The likes of the Garmin 520 (and 820/1000) you can set up multiple profiles one for outside and one for the turbo with the GPS turned off.

You're going to want speed and cadence sensors such as those made by Wahoo as they will work with your Garmin and iPhone.

However it can depend on your trainer. Smart trainers you don't need sensors as they will broadcast the speed and power etc.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    Surely the easiest option is to get a cheap £10 computer to measure time/speed/distance, and then manually input the workout to Strava? That's assuming your turbo has none of that included.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Sort of cheap way .. Android phone with the IPBike app.
    It talks to BT and ant+ sensors, so acts as a headunit. Also can upload to Strava and Training Peaks.
    The app costs a few quid.. the cost of a posh coffee
  • phreak wrote:
    Surely the easiest option is to get a cheap £10 computer to measure time/speed/distance, and then manually input the workout to Strava? That's assuming your turbo has none of that included.

You don't need to speed any money to compute speed or distance, I can tell you both for free. They are both zero as your are stationary for the entire ride.