saturday, now there is no more morning dew

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited September 2016 in The bottom bracket
'ning

recovered from the horrors of the the flight, let me just say that there are people who at some point needed to just STOPFUCKINGEATING while they still fit within the confines of one aircraft seat, and also develop some social graces

gloomygrey out, off to assemble my shiny bike and take it for a cafe stop

deadheads may find it hard to accept, but the blackfoot version of morning dew is just the best
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    sungod wrote:
    recovered from the horrors of the the flight, let me just say that there are people who at some point needed to just STOPFUCKINGEATING while they still fit within the confines of one aircraft seat, and also develop some social graces
    The joys of Easyjet?

Jobs and Dad's taxi work beckon today. May go for a run later to blown away the cobwebs.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    monarch, in the extra legroom seats at the front, four of them occupied 6 seats, literally, they had to raise the arm rests, in the next row so i got to enjoy the chomping, snoring, snorting, hacking, whining and sniping

kitchen stopcock is dripping, ffs, will try repacking it, but i think it needs replacing as it doesn't fully shut off any more

raining here, off to the cafe, the owner is a most attractive lady, that'll cheer me up
  • Installed a few more step treads in the back staircase. Only a few left to replace and that's another job ticked off the maintenance plan. Fun way to spend a Saturday... :roll:

There will be a drink or three this evening no doubt.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    sungod wrote:
    kitchen stopcock is dripping, ffs, will try repacking it, but i think it needs replacing as it doesn't fully shut off any more

You know you'll have to get your aris down to the plumbers and buy a 50p seal, shut the water off and replace the thing, don't you? Lazy git.

GTG - lovely day but spent last 45 mins answering emails.

Update later.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    Pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:

You know you'll have to get your aris down to the plumbers and buy a 50p seal, shut the water off and replace the thing, don't you? Lazy git.

yeah new washer probably would do it, trouble is that turning off the water supply here is a major exercise as it affects other people (olde apartment block), i just get a bit tense about plumbing

electricity on the other hand, easy peasy
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    My car is sixty today! :D

'Born' Monday 10 September 1956 in Germany.

Any excuse for cracking open a bottle :wink:

Happy birthday to Ervilha (pea)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    team47b wrote:
    My car is sixty today! :D

'Born' Monday 10 September 1956 in Germany.

Any excuse for cracking open a bottle :wink:

Happy birthday to Ervilha (pea)
    Happy birthday car! A fine vintage indeed but still young enough to call you dad :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:

yeah new washer probably would do it, trouble is that turning off the water supply here is a major exercise as it affects other people (olde apartment block), i just get a bit tense about plumbing

electricity on the other hand, easy peasy

Compression fit stuff makes plumbing so easy nowadays. I always use Jet Blue when assembling compression fit stuff. Never had a leak yet despite the high water pressure at PPP.
  • Stevo_666
    Mother in law passed away earlier today. Wife taking it quite well after the initial shock of being called to the care home but already too late. Bit of a blessing in disguise as she'd been in care for 18 years and effectively semi-vegetative and bed bound for over a decade. Bit subdued here and trying to work out all the crap to do with funerals.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    edited September 2016
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mother in law passed away earlier today. Wife taking it quite well after the initial shock of being called to the care home but already too late. Bit of a blessing in disguise as she'd been in care for 18 years and effectively semi-vegetative and bed bound for over a decade. Bit subdued here and trying to work out all the crap to do with funerals.

Sorry to hear that fella. Always a tough time when you lose someone close. Hope the wife's ok.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • sungod
    commiserations

i remember when my nan died, also in care but just for a short time, suddenly there were all the practical things to be done
  • pinno
    Condolences Stevo.

Yep SG, that's the double slap: So many things to sort out, all at the wrong time.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Sorry to hear that Stevo, comiserations to the Mrs. I never had a MiL as she popped her clogs a few months before we got married. Complete bolt from the blue, heart attack aged 70. The Mrs was distraught as they were very close. Hopefully having gone through what must have been a lot of pain over recent years it will be easier for your Mrs to deal with it.
    Just got back from a very wet Goodwood, racing was very exciting though. Unfortunately I think i killed my phone as it got rather wet. It's now in a bag with loads of silica gel bags. I hate umbrellas, more specifically I hate selfish phucktards with huge umbrellas in crowded laces. They need to have them shoved where the sun don't shine and then opened. I couldn't give a toss if it's bad luck to open then 'indoors'.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks Lads, I'm fine.

The OH is also surprisingly good - she's a tough nut and already into sorting stuff out with family, coroner, funeral directors etc. We're even managing to have bit of a laugh watching 'The Last Leg' to take our mind off things.

May also be a bit of a silver lining as she'll get some of her life back soon, it's been pretty time consuming for her for years now, even if I think she overdid it. Kind of regretting my outburst a few months back when I said 'she's had her life but she's ****ing well taken over yours!' :oops:

@CB - one of the wife's brothers is a big Manure fan and went to Old Trafford to watch the Manc Derby. He thought we were ringing up to take the mick out of him after City won so he didn't pick the bloody phone up until about the third try, by which time he was on the train back to London with all the other Man U fans :)
  • pinno
    Back to something a bit more Jolly.

Took the Toots for a saunter in the hills. First time out with the Sony DSC H-400 Cyber shot. Quite pleased with it.

f6ff11cfd373289409f13e138fb0606a.jpg

31500abfea87f9908ea5ff4b1f88401e.jpg

c5e7b3c2f9847d445d30a928e50f4158.jpg

A lot of logging going on but the place is littered with miles of gravel tracks, It makes me want to get a CX bike.

Cute but trouble:

6a14b16e067b1b298d73de55c52e43c3.jpg
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Is that a Ginsters Pinno, or some kind of confectionary wrapped in pastry/batter? :D
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • pinno
    City Boy wrote:
    Is that a Ginsters Pinno, or some kind of confectionary wrapped in pastry/batter? :D

No, it's an apple turnover and very good it was too.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    My commiserations Stevo to you and your Mrs.

Given my newly acquired status of employee this week rather than employer, meant I was doing a Freddie Mercury impression today doing the domestic cleaning. First thing I took my daughter for her first ever Saturday job which she enjoyed. result.

Tomorrow is a bike ride to where ever has a decent cafe. My favourite cafe which does the best espresso I've ever tasted is shut Sunday's, the cakes aren't quite up to scratch which is good in a way as the search goes on for the pinnacle of coffee and cake served from one establishment.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Pinno wrote:

Took the Toots for a saunter in the hills. First time out with the Sony DSC H-400 Cyber shot. Quite pleased with it.

A lot of logging going on but the place is littered with miles of gravel tracks, It makes me want to get a CX bike.

Cute but trouble:

Good scenery Pinno and a brilliant pic of the girls,enjoy those times fella as time does seem to fly at that age.
  • pinno
    Slowmart wrote:
    ...the search goes on for the pinnacle of coffee and cake served from one establishment.

One place beats every Cafe stop i've ever been to.

Cafe Rendezvous in Wigtown. £1.50 for a Latte (Lavazza), £1.20 for an Espresso. Cakes are gorgeous as the proprietor(ess) does cakes for lots of other venues. My only complaint is that she experimented with a Tiramisu cake. It was A+ but she never did it again. The down side for me is that it is a minimum 68 mile ride and few good days and prevailing Westerlies means a head wind home in winter to do it. My order is a BLT, Coffee or Chocolate cake and a Latte all for £7.45.
    Proprietors daughter is easy on the eye...
  • Stevo_666
    That's nice territory - very similar to the sort of scenery over in South Wales near the Brecons where I go downhilling 8)

Get that CX bike - a step nearer to The Dark Side...
  • pinno
    Cheers Crumbschief. I do enjoy them and yes, they are growing so quick it's frightening. They are at that age when there's more than one funny moment per day.

Yesterday was blowing a hoolie and the cat refused to go out. Looked out at the front door and then out the back and so on at the weather. He'd been in all night and was probably desperate for the toilet. Toots 2 says "Can't he go on the potty?".
    Today Toots 1 approaches a back packer coming towards us on the trail - ex-squaddie, without doubt, sleeves rolled up exposing a large Tattoo on his forearm. Toots 1 shouts a very loud Helloooooooo. Grabs his arm forcefully and proceeds to examine the Tattoo closely. Squaddie stops, totally humbled by my bold daughter.
    Toots 2 says "I want a Tattoo" after the event. (We have some stick on one's). "Yes, but we're going swimming tomorrow and it will wash off". "I don't want to go swimming tomorrow" she says.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That's nice territory - very similar to the sort of scenery over in South Wales near the Brecons where I go downhilling 8)

Get that CX bike - a step nearer to The Dark Side...

It will be as close as I would get. Yes, I know the Brecon Beacons from watching the World Rallying Championships there. It was there where we witnessed Marcus Gronholm roll the Pug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4wDhakoU4
  • Pinno wrote:

Cute but trouble:

Nice photos, yes. I looked at that Sony as fun option because of the zoom range, but ended up not getting one, mainly because it doesn't save in RAW format, only JPEG. Still, a lot of camera for the money!
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

As above, condolences to you and family.
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Get that CX bike.
    Do it, you know it makes sense. Easily the most versatile bike I own, if I could only have one bike, etc...

I was reminded today how bad rim brakes are in the wet, particularly on chrome rims. :shock: Thankfully the back rim was a bit rusty so there was some braking available.
  • pinno
    Very little will stop a 90kg biscuit chomping demi-god. Horses for courses.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Get that CX bike.
    Do it, you know it makes sense. Easily the most versatile bike I own, if I could only have one bike, etc...

I was reminded today how bad rim brakes are in the wet, particularly on chrome rims. :shock: Thankfully the back rim was a bit rusty so there was some braking available.
    For all round use, I think the light crudder rigid fork ones are a better choice than CX. My Open runs a rigid carbon fork, varies between road slicks and light XC tyres, and is a seriously quick thing on all surfaces, Stevo's DH stuff excepted.
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    Very little will stop a 90kg biscuit chomping demi-god. Horses for courses.
    Discs work a treat.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Get that CX bike.

They make great communters and all year round bikes. Wouldn't have anyrhing without discs, regardless of fat bastard quotient.