Looking at converting a 2004 Hardrock pro sport disc in to a commuter?

pinchez
pinchez Posts: 76
edited September 2016 in The workshop
My commute is a 14 mile round trip with a mixture of road and paths, I don't want to use my nice bikes so I thought I'd convert my old Hardrock.

I'm looking at putting some Swalbe 1.5" city jets on, charge spoon Saddle, perhaps new post and bars because they've gone a strange colour with age!!!

The big change will be changing to Mosso Rigid Forks which I'm struggling to get my head round. On my Hardrock the Axel to Crown measures 500mm and steerer tube is 210mm, the Mosso forks are Axel to Crown 430mm and steerer tube is 260mm

I presume I can cut the steerer tube to size but what about the 70mm difference in Axel to Crown? Wouldn't this make the front of the bike too low? I'm lost on this and could do with some advice please guys

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Hardrock usually comes with a 100mm fork which would usually have an a2c of around 470mm, sagged about 445mm so the small difference to 430mm isn't an issue, I guess yours is on 120 forks?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pinchez
    pinchez Posts: 76
    The forks are Marzocchi MZ Comp, 100mm travel, I wonder if I'm measuring them right? Axel (where wheel connects to fork) Crown (where fork connects to frame)

Anyone ever replaced their Hardrock forks for these Mosso's which only seem to be available from eBay China etc, ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have Mosso forks on my commuter and a forumite has just converted a Rockrider.
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13039649
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Buy a new bike.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • I would personally leave the forks alone or at maybe get some forks with remote lock out (assuming yours don't have this). When I used to commute on my hard tail mountain bike, I would leave my suspension active as it meant I could just ride straight over any pot holes without having keep on the lookout for them.
  • I would personally leave the forks alone or at maybe get some forks with remote lock out (assuming yours don't have this). When I used to commute on my hard tail mountain bike, I would leave my suspension active as it meant I could just ride straight over any pot holes without having keep on the lookout for them.

Thats a bad habit. Not aware of road ahead, bad habit if you switch bikes and also pot hole could damage real wheel plus by going into pot hole could have a accident and wheels losing traction with the road plus pot hole could be deeper than you expect filled with water and deep plus could have debris
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)