Tour Of Britain Stages 7a & 7b *Spoilers*

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,218
edited September 2016 in Pro race
So split stage today using a very tough, technical 15km circuit around Bristol with a start and finish up on Durdham Downs via the iconic suspension bridge and Bedminster. 1 lap TT was this morning and 6 lap kermesse live now.

Cummings retained the yellow jersey after finishing a decent 4th this morning behind Martin, Dennis and Dumoulin. Just coming to the end of the first lap of the circuit race, all pretty much together but strung out as they climb Bridge Valley Road back onto the Downs. IMHO this is probably the toughest stage of the race.

Comments

• Pross
    Bunch has fractured on the first climb and Dan Martin driving hard. Cummings may have been caught out, closing the group with Vermotte after sitting at the back in his usual way.
  • Pross
    Greipel in a four man break with 1' 17". Just over 50k to go.

Phinney crashed in the TT while leading on the road.
  • Pross
    Gorka and Boy van Poppel also in the break.
  • Pross
    Cav doing a lot of work at the front with Sky, yet another myth dispelled that he just sits in until the last 300m.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Pross wrote:
    Cav doing a lot of work at the front with Sky, yet another myth dispelled that he just sits in until the last 300m.

The idle slacker is still on the front getting pushed along by the peleton.

Those hills are (cumulatively) quite tough.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    You must have clear vision to see Cavendish on the front of peloton where others need a visit to SpecSavers.
    I note he has no chance of a Stage win but uses his energy for his team leader who is the GC leader.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Mad_Malx
    ^Can't work out your tone here DJ.
    I think we get his motives, point is he isn't as selfish as some suggest.
  • Mad_Malx
    Brizzle looking nice. Regret dipping out when I saw the rain this morning.
  • Pross
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ^Can't work out your tone here DJ.
    I think we get his motives, point is he isn't as selfish as some suggest.

I think Deejay is agreeing.

I can imagine being in a race long 4 man break the last thing you want is Stannard and Tony Martin chasing you down!
  • Mad_Malx
    Ah all good then
  • Pross
    Dennis breaks away on the final climb and hangs on to win it. He obviously liked that course and had a good day.
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Pross wrote:
    Dennis breaks away on the final climb and hangs on to win it. He obviously liked that course and had a good day.

What I couldn't make out was what Dumoulin was doing, you woud think he would have been marking him? Or maybe he was but couldn't cover it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Great atmos arouns Bristol today. TT was enjoyable and even at my viewing point about 6km in you could see Tony Martin was pushing hard.

Wiggo in full lap of honour mode. I saw most of the riders in the TT and he was the only one I saw on a completely standard road bike. Also ended up in the final group in the circuit race. Still, he can do what he likes....he's done enough.

Cav did a lot of work on the front for Cummings and that was great to see.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • On my way back to London from Bristol. Great day, old skool double stage

As Daz says, great atmosphere around the circuit

(Daz, Wiggo changed his mind 3 times about his bike set-up : - ))
  • Cor, I enjoyed that.
    One word: explosive.
    Dynamite Dennis set off the detonator on Caleb Ewan's legs.
    Oh, what a shame. :D
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Was he pondering a BMX or a Raleigh Chopper?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Remember earlier in the week when folks thought this was a race worth commenting on and the Vuelta was a source of ridicule?
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    On my way back to London from Bristol. Great day, old skool double stage

As Daz says, great atmosphere around the circuit

Poured onto the train after an hour or two hob-nobbing, I hope?
    Lovely day.
    They missed a trick not sending the race up a couple of other famed Bristol climbs (I'm thinking Granby Hill up the back of Hotwells instead of Bridge Valley Road), but then the fat lads at the back would have made a fuss I expect...
    There are several other roads in Briz that could have provided a WTF stage to follow yesterday's MTF...
  • Pross
    I think Granby Hill might be a bit tight for the convoy, used to be a nightmare meeting a car coming the other way on there when it was my rat run home from work. Constitution Hill would be another stinger. Bridge Valley is nice and scenic though and offers a great viewing platform.
  • Pross
    type:epyt wrote:
    Remember earlier in the week when folks thought this was a race worth commenting on and the Vuelta was a source of ridicule?

No :?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Was he pondering a BMX or a Raleigh Chopper?

Given how much the roadside crowds loved him it wouldn't have mattered whether he's ridden a pennyfarthing
  • type:epyt wrote:
    Remember earlier in the week when folks thought this was a race worth commenting on and the Vuelta was a source of ridicule?

Um, no
  • Pross wrote:
    I think Granby Hill might be a bit tight for the convoy, used to be a nightmare meeting a car coming the other way on there when it was my rat run home from work. Constitution Hill would be another stinger. Bridge Valley is nice and scenic though and offers a great viewing platform.

It was. And OCDP is EVIL :-)
  • type:epyt wrote:

Um, no

Nothing as changed.
    The fact that the Vuelta's proper mountain stages have been so good, serves to highlight what a joke their multitude of hockey stick stages are.
    Folks claiming that the whole race has been good should try selling sand to the Bedouin.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.