N + 1 advice please

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
I'm after a new commuter / winter bike. Something that I don't mind abusing, but still good enough for some hilly sportives, wet winter club runs and maybe some CX action. Whats good at the moment?

Want:
disc breaks
not too heavy
mudguard mounts

Cheers!

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Add single speed and those wants are pretty much what i am looking for, too! Can always do a conversion, but have not decided on frame yet, with bish bash bosh being leader at the moment.
    You probably want to look through gravel/adventure options, most brands have those now, but BSA BB is getting rare.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Budget?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Canyon Inflite.

Love mine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • daddy0
    Asprilla wrote:
    Canyon Inflite.

Love mine.
    Yeah, I would love one too. Does it take guards though?
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Thought about one of these, really want disc brakes though - tired of naff breaking and going through pads and a set of wheels every winter. And there are much better deals out there.
    DrLex wrote:
    Budget?
    Don't really know, didn't want to confine the suggestions to a budget. Would consider a £500 bike if the spec was good enough, and could stretch to as much as a Canyon Inflite if I thought it (I) was worth it. I keep looking at £2000 titanium bikes too...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Very similar requirements to the ones that led to me getting a Kinesis Pro6, which I've had a couple of years and am pretty happy with. Geometry is the same as my CX race bikes, takes mudguards and a rack.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • asprilla
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Canyon Inflite.

Love mine.
    Yeah, I would love one too. Does it take guards though?
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Yes. You can buy the CX version with CX hearing and get the guards seperately, or you can get the road version with guards and road gearing.

Tyres depend on the version you get.

Great bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Can't beat this for value. I have one :). It's great.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • asprilla
    rower63 wrote:

Weirdly you don't list that one in your sig.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Kinesis Pro6. Ticks all the boxes, had mine about three years now and still rate it very highly. If you get a frame you can build it to the exact spec you want. If I were doing mine now I'd get full hydraulic discs.
  • rower63 wrote:

Dang, that' would actually do for a winter bike and cheaper than a deore groupset to fix my current hack.
    However, only a 18 " :(
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    Canyon Inflite.

Love mine.

+1
    Love mine too. Came with mudguards
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daddy0
    rower63 wrote:
    That's a deal bruv!

But not for me I'm afraid.

Kinesis or the Canyon then...

Will I really want hydraulic brakes? Was thinking TRP Spyres would be good enough to stop me?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Planet-X London Road is worth a look, I love the Zesty Lime colour scheme.

Just built up a flat barred hybrid as a commuter using one (PX don't do the flat barred option anymore), came in at just over 8.5Kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Pro6 looks pretty well featured and at 1.7kg frame and 0.5kg fork not that heavy. What is Kinesium, though, aluminium?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    mamil314 wrote:
    Pro6 looks pretty well featured and at 1.7kg frame and 0.5kg fork not that heavy. What is Kinesium, though, aluminium?
    Basically, yeah.

I think I recall their marketing blurb saying it's a specific aluminium alloy they've developed themselves, but it's hard to believe it's *that* different to the various aluminium alloys used by everyone else...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • http://www.startfitness.co.uk/cannondal ... Agf78P8HAQ

£599 for a very light alu bike. I'd chuck some different wheels on (which is pretty much the same as most bikes) and add some Juin Tech R1 brakes.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I'm not sure that it's light, but if you're a medium, Genesis Equilibrium Disc 30 for £1,250?
    Alternatively, discounted Kinesis crosslight frame and go self-build?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Will I really want hydraulic brakes?
    Yes. Think of every other place discs are used, only cheap bicycles use cable. There are no decent flat barred bikes using cable discs, only the cheap ones. If you're going to go disc do it properly.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Planet-X London Road is worth a look, I love the Zesty Lime colour scheme.

Just built up a flat barred hybrid as a commuter using one (PX don't do the flat barred option anymore), came in at just over 8.5Kg.
    +1 for the London Road - fits the bill perfectly. I've ridden mine in all weather on all types of ride and even done a 100mile sportive on it in it's full commuting setup
  • daddy0
    Cheers for all the tips guys. So far discounted Kinesis Crosslight frame self build option is the most appealing.

Cheers to Veronese68 for setting me straight about the brakes - makes sense.

Now, what groupset /wheels / stem and bars?