Pokerface's Paralympics

JackTar
JackTar Posts: 77
edited October 2016 in Pro race
Does anyone know when Pokerface is racing at the Paralympics? Would be nice to watch

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It looks like he's on the track tomorrow. Don't know what time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Team 'Ourman'

or maybe 'yer man'
  • C'mon Ireland!
    left the forum March 2023
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    What's his real name, how will I know who is the real Pokerface?
  • Mad_Malx
    Colin lynch
    Irish tt
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Joelsim wrote:
    What's his real name, how will I know who is the real Pokerface?
    https://www.rio2016.com/en/paralympics/ ... olin-lynch
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    Cheers Rich.
  • Mad_Malx
    Joel - comedy gold in this ancient thread
    - viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12797415&hilit=Felt
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Double page spread on him in the comic this week.
  • joelsim
    Top banana. I may race him to the shops.

Looking forward to watching this tmw.
  • Best of luck to Colin - I've always enjoyed following him vicariously through here.

Enjoying watching the racing so far too. I don't know if anyone else is like this, or even if I should admit it, but I tend to forget that it's Paralympic sport and start thinking 'her body's all over the shop there...' Never sure if it's a good or bad thing that I switch into that mode.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Best of luck today, Colin. Will be cheering you on remotely.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    andyp wrote:
    Best of luck today, Colin. Will be cheering you on remotely.
    Same here.

There's a bit about Colin's background at http://road.cc/48360
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Thanks all!!

Racing the Pursuit today. Form is good, but I can say that I won't be in the top 2 but aiming for the Bronze if possible.

My target event is the TT next Wednesday - course is perfect for me and I've been preparing for it all year.

Might be able to watch online today at paralympic.org

Pursuit Qualifier is 4:00pm UK and finals are 10:00pm UK time.

Cheers!

Colin
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Good luck Colin

Can someone explain how it works with the "pilots" in the tandem cycling please? I'm interested because Adam Duggleby is a local rider and he won a gold last night with his partner Steve Bate. Could you just stick Bradley Wiggins on the front with any old guys or are there rules?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pokerface
    gsk82 wrote:
    Good luck Colin

Can someone explain how it works with the "pilots" in the tandem cycling please? I'm interested because Adam Duggleby is a local rider and he won a gold last night with his partner Steve Bate. Could you just stick Bradley Wiggins on the front with any old guys or are there rules?

Basically - yes.

Pilots can't have raced at World Tour or Pro-Conti level for 12 months to qualify (from Jan 1 of the year following the end of their contract).

Also can't have ridden for their country in a World Champs, Olympics, World Cup, Regional Games, etc for 12 months.

Former Kilo World Champ Tuen Mulder now pilots a Dutch tandem.

GB could recruit Chris Hoy for instance now if they wanted. And Wiggins in a few years....
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Good luck Colin.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • kaacp
    kaacp Posts: 93
    If you check the RTE (Irish TV and radio) website at http://www.rte.ie, they have a link each day from the home page to live updates from Rio. The first post of the day lists the Irish in action and the times of the events.

Will be cheering Colin on too!
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    He's on as we speak! Against a GB rider too.
  • 3rd fastest at the moment

Started slow, but kept Rolfe's pace in the second half
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Pokerface wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Good luck Colin

Basically - yes.

Pilots can't have raced at World Tour or Pro-Conti level for 12 months to qualify (from Jan 1 of the year following the end of their contract).

Also can't have ridden for their country in a World Champs, Olympics, World Cup, Regional Games, etc for 12 months.

Former Kilo World Champ Tuen Mulder now pilots a Dutch tandem.

GB could recruit Chris Hoy for instance now if they wanted. And Wiggins in a few years....

It would be much more fair if the pilots pedals and chainset were removed.
  • For those wondering, Colin / Pokerface came 5th in qualifying this afternoon, Doesn't sound too shabby for someone targeting the road TT - hopefully he's not left too much on the track.
  • Mad_Malx
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    He's on as we speak! Against a GB rider too.

BR formulite trumps nationalism.

Well done Colin, that's your training ride done, nail it on the road!
  • Nice ride Colin! Go out an smash it on the road!!!!
  • Pokerface
    Balls. Just balls.

Anyway - started well but never got the gear up to speed and paid for it. Sub-par ride from me but I did say I was targeting the TT which will suit me better.

Form is good, despite the poor time (for me) not he track today. Disappointed not to be going for a medal, but it gives me a bit of extra time to rest up and prepare for the TT while the other riders have pursuit finals, the Kilo and even a team sprint to contend with in some cases. Hopefully they will be tired by Wednesday!

Thank everyone for the support. Hope to check back in a few days with better news!
  • Pokerface
    Also worth mentioning that I'll be tackling the Hour Record again on October 1 in Manchester. It might be my retirement event if I don't get this TT right!
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Also worth mentioning that I'll be tackling the Hour Record again on October 1 in Manchester. It might be my retirement event if I don't get this TT right!

Sorry, but I think you'll need to ask our permission before you can stop.

Live stream for the hour attempt? GoFundMe for some decent tyres? You were looking good right up to the puncture :-(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pokerface wrote:

What time of day on the 1st? Open to spectators?

I've been officially cleared to come and cheer by SWMBO and I reckon some guys from the club and from this forum might be keen.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

What time of day on the 1st? Open to spectators?

I've been officially cleared to come and cheer by SWMBO and I reckon some guys from the club and from this forum might be keen.

1st is a Saturday? Might be able to make it if it's open for spectators/genial abuse/support etc - which one makes you go faster?
  • Excellent news re. the hour record,

this is a short clip of last year's attempt, possibly the unluckiest hour attempt in history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2mkUGKKgEc