Wheelie and size

Veddy
Veddy Posts: 29
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I just bought a 2016 Saracen Mantra. I've been trying to wheelie on it but I can't. I've tried many techniques but still no luck.
I'm 5'5 with a 19 inch frame so a bit big. I can pedal from seated and standing without locking my knees. Is the bike sizing anything to do with my struggle to wheelie or do I just need to try more.
Also please help with any wheelie tips as well please.
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A bigger (longer) bike is harder to wheelie and your bike is clearly too big for you, but your issue is 90% technique and 10% bike size.

Try YouTube vids for wheelie advice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 19" sounds a bit big for a 5'5" rider.
  • Veddy
    Thanks guys and yes the bike is a 'bit' big
  • If the bikes longer then the balance point will be higher and your weight will be further forward making it more difficult to get off the ground.
  • Im around your size mate, 5'6" and i used to wheelie my Saracen for fun everywhere, its more technique i think. Practice should get you there.
  • try doing it up a slight hill at first, it might help you get the bike up enough. just to get used to it then try on flat.

dont be in such a low gear also as that doesnt seem to work, mid gear, lean back and pedal quite strong just to lift the front.
  • Veddy
    I'm going to carry on trying and hopefully get there. Thanks for the advise lads!