Vuelta stage 18 *spoiler*

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
edited September 2016 in Pro race
One for the Meersman and Drucker or perhaps another breakaway.

vuelta201618.png

Comments

• TheBigBean
    Pierre Rolland, Fumiyuki Beppu, Quentin Jauregui, Mattia Cattaneo and Louis Vervaeke have 6'35 with 106km to go.

Anyone playing baby name bingo will get a name with character if Beppu wins. Beppu appears he has been around a while as he was in Discovery in 2005-7. Being in a break in the Vuelta may be the highlight of his palmares unless I'm mistaken.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Break to go to the finish? GC teams won't be interested as the GC guys will want an easy day before tomorrow's TT.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    That little 'blip' at around 170K with downhill to the finish could spark something from one of the GC guys though. Contador's always up for any opportunity and Froome hasn't sat on his top tube for a while!
  • Okay Carlton we know you have 'man-love'™ for some riders, but Tyler Farrar will not win a sprint today, or any other day. He wasn't the quickest when he could mix it up the sprints. He's even slower now. Plus he is on water bottle duty (this is usually a good indicator that he is helping other rider(s) out. In the 'professional sport of cycling' © this is called being a domestique.)
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Pierre Rolland, Fumiyuki Beppu, Quentin Jauregui, Mattia Cattaneo and Louis Vervaeke have 6'35 with 106km to go.

Anyone playing baby name bingo will get a name with character if Beppu wins. Beppu appears he has been around a while as he was in Discovery in 2005-7. Being in a break in the Vuelta may be the highlight of his palmares unless I'm mistaken.
    Pretty sure he's been in a tour de France breakaway too recently. One of the past two or three editions. Not much else to boast of at this level.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

Pretty sure he's been in a tour de France breakaway too recently. One of the past two or three editions. Not much else to boast of at this level.

Arashiro was in a break this year. I can't find any further info on Beppu, but you could be right.

Further info from Trek though. He seems like a nice chap.

Fumy Beppu brings a wealth of experience to the team - he has ridden on WorldTour teams since 2005 – and is the most celebrated rider in Japan’s history. He is one of the most devoted and dedicated teammates to be found in the pro peloton. Last season Fumy stole the hearts in Japan by winning the Japan Cup criterium, a big home win for a selfless teammate who rarely gets a chance for himself.

Fumy continues to reside in France and speaks fluent French. He is considered one of the kindest riders in the peloton and is the ultimate team player, giving his all for the team in every way possible.
  • TheBigBean
    Back at the race, 18.5km to go and 27s
  • TheBigBean
    2km to go, all together. No incidents so far.
  • TheBigBean
    Nielson wins
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    CN says Magnus Cort wins

EDIT: Ah... I see it's a bit like Contador's name (Velasco). I've only known this lad as Magnus Cort...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Another cheeky win for the workers at OBE! Pleased for Magnus - biggest win of his career...
  • Magnus not Cort. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    1 Magnus Cort Nielsen (Den) Orica-BikeExchange 4:54:31
    2 Nikias Arndt (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin 0:00:00
    3 Jean-Pierre Drucker (Lux) BMC Racing Team 0:00:00
    4 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Tinkoff Team 0:00:00
    5 Jonas Vangenechten (Bel) IAM Cycling 0:00:00
    6 Kiel Reijnen (USA) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:00
    7 Michael Schwarzmann (Ger) Bora-Argon 18 0:00:00
    8 Gianni Meersman (Bel) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:00
    9 Kristian Sbaragli (Ita) Dimension Data 0:00:00
    10 Lorenzo Manzin (Fra) FDJ 0:00:00
  • TheBigBean
    dish_dash wrote:
    CN says Magnus Cort wins

EDIT: Ah... I see it's a bit like Contador's name (Velasco). I've only known this lad as Magnus Cort...

Kelly was calling him Nielson as was the caption, but Wikipedia supports what you are saying. Obviously, I've never heard of him.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    dish_dash wrote:
    CN says Magnus Cort wins

It's just like Michael Valgren Anderson.
  • Danish middles names are most usually a surname, but they can be passed from either mother or father (e.g. a father's middle name passed t his children as middle name). It's usually an old family name that's a bit less common than the ten-for-a-kroner Hansens, Larsens, Christensens etc. It's common Danish practice to use the given middle name when referring to someone.

Other examples from cycling are:
    Lasse Norman (Hansen)
    Søren Kragh (Andersen)
    Bo Hamburger (Twatface)

My own kids have their mother's middle name and my surname.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Danish middles names are most usually a surname, but they can be passed from either mother or father (e.g. a father's middle name passed t his children as middle name). It's usually an old family name that's a bit less common than the ten-for-a-kroner Hansens, Larsens, Christensens etc. It's common Danish practice to use the given middle name when referring to someone.

Lasse Norman (Hansen)
    Søren Kragh (Andersen)
    Bo Hamburger (Twatface)

Phoebe & Darren Christian Doctor?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Danish middles names are most usually a surname, but they can be passed from either mother or father (e.g. a father's middle name passed t his children as middle name). It's usually an old family name that's a bit less common than the ten-for-a-kroner Hansens, Larsens, Christensens etc. It's common Danish practice to use the given middle name when referring to someone.

Lasse Norman (Hansen)
    Søren Kragh (Andersen)
    Bo Hamburger (Twatface)

You can't criticise Hamburger, his ToB stage win allowed for the headline in some paper or magazine 'Hamburger saves Danish Bacon'. Twatface probably wouldn't have allowed such a pun (or at least not one that could be published!).
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    Great win and without a doubt the stage win of his career, especially good considering the team are protecting Chaves and Yates.

No "proper" sprinters in the Vuelta, to many hard climbs, but 2 stage wins is a decent result.

Orica are a serious player in WT cycling, I'm very happy that is is the case.
    Turned out nice again!
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Arashiro was in a break this year. I can't find any further info on Beppu, but you could be right.

Further info from Trek though. He seems like a nice chap.

Fumy Beppu brings a wealth of experience to the team - he has ridden on WorldTour teams since 2005 – and is the most celebrated rider in Japan’s history. He is one of the most devoted and dedicated teammates to be found in the pro peloton. Last season Fumy stole the hearts in Japan by winning the Japan Cup criterium, a big home win for a selfless teammate who rarely gets a chance for himself.

Fumy continues to reside in France and speaks fluent French. He is considered one of the kindest riders in the peloton and is the ultimate team player, giving his all for the team in every way possible.
    You're quite right. I was under the misconception that they were all the same :P

Had a look, and seems he was in one of the doomed attacks in the final stage of the Tour de France in 2009.