Tour of Britain 2016 Stage 5 Spoiler

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,484
edited September 2016 in Pro race
Looks like another up and down day but yet again the bulk of the climbing is done by just after half way. 195km from Aberdare to Bath.

The first sprint of the day is in Usk, less than 10 miles from my house but I just can't be bothered going to watch. Shortly after there's a nasty climb (actually two climbs with a few miles of rolling road between them) that has somehow not been categorised. It starts with a 500m long section at around 15% straight after a ninety degree right hander and the second section hits similar gradients for around 1km.

The race then drops down to the Wye valley and climbs into the Forest of Dean by way of quite a tough route near Clearwell Castle before taking on Speech House both of which are 2nd cat climbs (Speech House in my opinion, having raced up it, is far easier than the earlier uncategorised climb).

It's then on to another 2nd cat climb near Stroud and a sprint at Pucklechurch before the finish in Bath.

My bet is on another sprint stage albeit a few lumps on the run in may reduce the numbers taking part again. I'm not sure what the thought process was, if any, in loading the hills into the middle of the stage.

Comments

• I think they want it to be relatively sprint friendly so the race acts as a warm up for the worlds - they want to make it relatively tough for the same reason.

I reckon they've got the balance about right with that in mind - I remember a few years back some riders were doing another 50k at the end of stages just for training which did make it seem a bit of a chipper - at least now they are getting their money's worth.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I'm popping along to catch a glimpse with some friends.
    Only they want to go to a spot I wouldn't have picked.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Star Pitch is the only real place worth watching around here in my opinion. Can go for a drink and / or lunch in the pub then too. Anywhere else in the Welsh section and they'll be through before you see them.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Riding up to Bath to watch the finish. Would expect a bunch sprint of sorts. Be nice to see Cav pull this one out of the bag...
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Riding up to Bath to watch the finish. Would expect a bunch sprint of sorts. Be nice to see Cav pull this one out of the bag...

I fear the only thing Cav will pull out of 'the' bag is a dummy after throwing away his last one.

Only kidding. Really don't think Cav has the right legs up against some of these boys at the moment, but I really hope to be proven wrong.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    JSCL wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

I fear the only thing Cav will pull out of 'the' bag is a dummy after throwing away his last one.

Only kidding. Really don't think Cav has the right legs up against some of these boys at the moment, but I really hope to be proven wrong.

He's most likely avoiding a crash that will damage his world's prospects.
  • Pross
    Sounds like a seriously tough opening with constant attempts to force a break meaning riders getting dropped within the first 25km. A group of 5 (Bauer, Moinard, Rowsell, McEvoy and Moreno) finally established themselves and allowed to go by the peloton. McEvoy, Rowsell, Moreno the order at the first sprint in Usk. First KoM order was McEvoy, Rowsell, Bauer with Meurisse being first over in the peloton to increase his overall lead by a point then exactly the same at the second KoM.

The break currently has around 4' 45" over the front of a peloton that has split in two.
  • Pross
    Lead coming down quite quickly now, 4' 08" having peaked at 5' 10" after the second KoM. Just over 80km to race.
  • Pross
    The lead has been fluctuating a bit, down to 3' 45" now back to 4' 15". There's been a crash in the peloton that took down a small group including Danny van Poppel and Hoekstra but everyone seems OK. Dimension Data must fancy Cav's chances as they are doing the pulling.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The peloton don't seem to be bringing the break back fast enough... 51" with 6.2km remaining.

Lots of Lotto (both flavours) on the front.
  • bobmcstuff
    Having said that, the break's just gone to pieces.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    JSCL wrote:

You are Optrexeyedrops and ICMFP
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Very interesting finish. The chase had been almost perfectly following the 1 minute per 10km rule but has dropped off the pace a bit. Will be very much touch and go as the sprint teams will really up it in the last few km and the break has been out there for 170km. Good day for McEvoy who I think has taken first place on all sprints and KoMs!
  • Pross
    He then becomes the first dropped from the break.
  • Greipel didn't get the message that he was supposed to be winning today.
  • Pross
    17" 1km to go - tight!
  • Pross
    Bauer holds on to win, sounds like a fantastic finish.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2016
    Wow that was a close finish - break stayed in front by a few meters!!
  • Pross
    Break held on by 10m!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Cannondale's biggest win in Europe this season
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    Really interesting finale that - think I confused my colleagues again...

Cracking win from Bauer, Caleb Ewen looked like the best of the bunch, did he sneak into 3rd? Couldn't quite see from the camera

Good for Cannondale too as they've not had much this season have they.
  • bobmcstuff
    Nope Ewan in 4th ahead of Gronewegen and Van Poppel.
  • Pross
    Bauer, Moinard, Rowsell then the bunch led by Ewan. Moreno must have got caught in the last few metres. I do like a stage like that where everything is in the balance and the break is forced to stay honest.
  • So glad Bauer and the break (especially Rowsell) won out over "Son of Gerrans", Caleb Ewan.
    Orica never did a single tap in the chase and but for the want of a couple of minutes in the wind, would have had the victory.
    So, well done to OBE: you won at chicken but lost the race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Agreed with above.

Really pleased for Rowsell there, he's a class racer.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Stage was 50m too short for the peloton! Good atmosphere in Bath with plenty of schools in attendance too.
    Well done Jack Bauer.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    JSCL wrote:
    Agreed with above.

Really pleased for Rowsell there, he's a class racer.
    +1.

I don't think he enjoyed his time at Netapp much, is certainly happier now.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    My kids rode in the exhibition races in Bath today. They also got Jack Bauer to sign their helmets. Proud dad here. Shame I had to work. Great race from Bauer.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    So glad Bauer and the break (especially Rowsell) won out over "Son of Gerrans", Caleb Ewan.
    Orica never did a single tap in the chase and but for the want of a couple of minutes in the wind, would have had the victory.
    So, well done to OBE: you won at chicken but lost the race.

Two OBE riders, Hepburn and Edmondson, finished over 16 minutes back. So either they did work early and sat up or they had some kind of problem and were dropped early. Either way, it partially explains why OBE weren't contributing.