Trailer

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
Anyone commute with one of these on the back? I'm thinking of one of the kiddy ones.

Either that or anyone use one (with or without child inserted) on a regular basis?

Thoughts/comments/avg speed?

Reason being that we got a dog recently and I don't want to leave it at home on its own. At the moment, she has doggy daycare but that is, whilst much less than a child/toddler, still not cheap 3 days a week. So thinking about getting one, putting dog in and cycling to/from work with her. Work hasn't got an issue and I'd prefer to not to drive in, even if I can get free parking.

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I was using a twin trailer, which had an all up weight (including toddler) of approx 20kg and I found it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, although hills took a bit of getting used to, as I found it easier to spin up the hill rather than power up.

There are lighter trailers out there and some specifically for dogs....only wish work would also consider it.
  • I used to take my 2year old daughter to the child minder 3 days a week at 8miles each way.
    It's surprising the speed you can maintain, but acceleration and hills are definitely slower. A good work out though and helps develop a decent amount of leg strength, which is great for when you haven't got the trailer!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A local chap uses a trailer to deliver his two children to our local primary school, I'd estimate the trailer at about 14-16Kg and the kids about the same each, he has a long drag uphill of about 3 miles, I've had a brief chat with him and he just says its a case of selecting the right gear and just keeping pedalling - he leaves the trailer at school and then cycles about 5 miles to work and says that bit then feels really easy.

Back downhill home he says is fun!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    A local chap uses a trailer to deliver his two children to our local primary school, I'd estimate the trailer at about 14-16Kg and the kids about the same each, he has a long drag uphill of about 3 miles, I've had a brief chat with him and he just says its a case of selecting the right gear and just keeping pedalling - he leaves the trailer at school and then cycles about 5 miles to work and says that bit then feels really easy.

Back downhill home he says is fun!

That's my plan, but just not convinced I'd ever want to leave the trailer at the school, so am seriously considering a cargo box bike with seats instead.

I've tried a trailer around the new forest, kids struggled and I'm not sure I like the idea of kids behind me on the road with the drivers I suffer around here.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...