**NEW**: BIKERADAR Heart of England 2017 autumn ride?

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
edited August 2017 in Road general
Anyone for a Bikeradar Forum ride? We used to do these things in the past and now we do no more, so I say it's time we do them again... LFGSS people do them and successfully, we can't be less than them, can we?

Happy to organise a loop of 60-70 miles starting from somewhere close to one of the M 40 junctions (could be 12 or 15) heading towards the Cotswolds, which are stunning in the autumn sunshine.

The format would be: reasonable pace, not racey, one coffee break, no one is left behind

Anyone?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I'd be interested but the date doesn't work for me.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    At the moment there is no reason to leave the date as such, given there is no interest... what do you suggest?
  • dish_dash
    Give me a couple of days... plans a flux. That date or the day before may work...
  • dish_dash
    Ok Ugo, sorry for delay... I could do Sat 24th... but not the Sunday... might that work?
  • It might work, but we are still left with zero interest form the user base. If you are local we can arrange a convenient meet point, if not, probably not worth bothering

We did one a couple of years back and managed to scrape 5 people, times are getting tougher :-)
  • dish_dash
    yeah... I'm in the Chilterns so not that hard to get over towards your neck of the woods. Wonder if it is worth posting somewhere else on the forum as I don't know how many visit this section...
  • We can try in the general, but the mods will move it... gran tour of the cotswolds with all the trimmings (read climbs)? something like this one but expanded to include the 25% Bushcombe lane?

https://www.strava.com/routes/6377345
  • dish_dash
    We can try in the general, but the mods will move it... gran tour of the cotswolds with all the trimmings (read climbs)? something like this one but expanded to include the 25% Bushcombe lane?

https://www.strava.com/routes/6377345

What mods? :wink: We could get Josh to come along...

Route looks good.I haven't ridden in the Cotswolds in years so happy to give those lanes and climbs a crack again...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'd love to meet up but I now have other priorities with the new house...like DIY :-(
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I have asked Josh to move it to General.

Shame DRLodge... I was longing to see your carbon wonder :-)
  • Should be able to make this, subject to us getting some more interest!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • joshjevans wrote:
    Should be able to make this, subject to us getting some more interest!

Excellent Josh!
  • dish_dash
    Cool... be good to see you Josh. I'll flag this thread to a few people...
  • Nice one guys
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Little bit too far south for me at 2 hours drive each way... Otherwise would be keen. If I happen to be down south for some other reason I'll stick the bike in the car but not too likely.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I'd like to do it but that's my son's 18th birthday. Probably just as well as I'm in utterly dreadful shape at the moment, I've not managed much riding at all this year so I'd be holding you all up.
  • Ibaz
    Ibaz Posts: 37
    I'm in Bromsgrove and would be intereted - but still a relative newbie so not that quick.
  • Ibaz wrote:
    I'm in Bromsgrove and would be intereted - but still a relative newbie so not that quick.

Speed doesn't matter... can you do 50-60 miles? Do you like climbing?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I'd like to do it but that's my son's 18th birthday. Probably just as well as I'm in utterly dreadful shape at the moment, I've not managed much riding at all this year so I'd be holding you all up.

I have to say, when it comes to excuses, you are second to none... :mrgreen:
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Should be good for this. Just need a final nod from SWMBO
  • Phil485 wrote:
    Should be good for this. Just need a final nod from SWMBO

Excellent!
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    What do you call a reasonable pace? Im not amazingly fast or a great climber.
    Myself and a mate knocked out 72 miles last sat in 4h23 av pace of 16.4mph and just under 3000ft of climbing, we dd the 50 in just under 3 hours with most of climbing.
    I think i have done bushcombe lane before, but took forever lol
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Veronese68 wrote:

I have to say, when it comes to excuses, you are second to none... :mrgreen:
    I need them more than ever at the moment, but the 18th birthday is unavoidable. Were it not for that I'd be making excuses for the London to Brighton off road that's on the 24th as well. :lol:
  • I'd love to do it, but I'm in SE Lincolnshire, so a bit too far.
  • Fudgey wrote:
    What do you call a reasonable pace? Im not amazingly fast or a great climber.
    Myself and a mate knocked out 72 miles last sat in 4h23 av pace of 16.4mph and just under 3000ft of climbing, we dd the 50 in just under 3 hours with most of climbing.
    I think i have done bushcombe lane before, but took forever lol

That's plenty, we will be averaging less than that :shock:
  • fudgey
    Ha good stuff. ill speak to my mates, one lives in Warwick so if meeting at J15 of the M40 that might be doable.
    myself and the guy i ride most with live near Swindon Wilts.

Let me know where and when and ill see what i can sort out. :D
  • Fudgey wrote:
    Ha good stuff. ill speak to my mates, one lives in Warwick so if meeting at J15 of the M40 that might be doable.
    myself and the guy i ride most with live near Swindon Wilts.

Let me know where and when and ill see what i can sort out. :D

It will be a bit further south. Meeting at the motoray junction means that out of 60 miles only 20 will be in the Cotswolds, while if we meet further south we can do all the ride on pitoresque lanes

EDIT: at the moment I am leaning towards a start from Kineton, which is 5 minutes drive from J12 at Gaydon
  • fudgey
    Ok cheers ill have a word and see what they say. Its a little over an hour from here.
  • Ibaz
    Ibaz Posts: 37
    Ibaz wrote:

60 is not a problem - climbing is...... shall we say a work in progress but I do find my self looking for hills when I go out.
  • Ibaz wrote:
    Ibaz wrote:

60 is not a problem - climbing is...... shall we say a work in progress but I do find my self looking for hills when I go out.

I'll try to work out a compromise that is not a complete hill fest. If you have no problem doing 60 miles, you should be fine