Your Wristwatches

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,318
edited October 2016 in The cake stop
I had been avoiding wearing a watch or having any interest in watches my entire adult life, largely due to the fact that I knew what would happen. I cannot afford a watch collection/addiction but after witnessing my father in law bidding for a beautiful vintage Tissot, I was bitten by the bug. Having spent the last two weeks obsessing, a Swiss movement, fairly non brand dress watch is winging it's way to me from America.

AE22FDF1-1854-4441-8029-CB43FF4B78AF_zpsrrfbneyf.jpg70's Gruen.

And obviously I'm lacking a casual watch so have my eye on this Seiko diver, in case there's a sudden flood on my way to work? :oops:

9B5D1997-2403-4FC0-AED0-EEA8DFD2AFD0_zpszhvln5nm.jpg Both watches are on the smaller size as my wrists are quite thin, 6.5"

Being as i nearly stopped a stranger in the street today to ask him about the watch he was wearing, I would love to see your watches, what's on your wish list, reviews, straps you like, basically anything watch related. :D
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This is mine, nice and simple lines:

Watch_zpsq8cmooyh.jpg
  • I have a TAG F1, not expensive by their standards, it was a present for a significant birthday. I would post a photo but it has been with TAG since May for a new battery and I was phoned on Monday to say that it will be another 4 weeks . . . would I buy another TAG?
    Love the look of Panerai but way outside my budget.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • seanoconn
    I have a TAG F1, not expensive by their standards, it was a present for a significant birthday. I would post a photo but it has been with TAG since May for a new battery and I was phoned on Monday to say that it will be another 4 weeks . . . would I buy another TAG?
    Do you think they've lost it?
  • seanoconn
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    This is mine, nice and simple lines:

Watch_zpsq8cmooyh.jpg
    Elegant, nice.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I wear TAG Heuer. I currently own an F1 (1993) and a Monaco (2005)

Like this, but with a yellow face
    20120112-165756.jpg

And this one
    tag-heuer-monaco-black-dial-01.jpg
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • seanoconn
    Very nice :D What size is the F1?
  • seanoconn wrote:
    I have a TAG F1, not expensive by their standards, it was a present for a significant birthday. I would post a photo but it has been with TAG since May for a new battery and I was phoned on Monday to say that it will be another 4 weeks . . . would I buy another TAG?
    Do you think they've lost it?

Apparently not . . . but if it doesn't turn up in 4 weeks . .
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Had one of these for 14 years..

omegadaydate_zpsdc07db51.jpg

Then went off the idea of having posh expensive watches, so sold it and bought one of these instead, which I wear for all occasions..

G-100-1BV-2009.jpg
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've had a Tag Heuer F1 since 1993, I wear it every day. Got it for my 18th Birthday. It's been through a LOT at work too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited September 2016
    seanoconn wrote:
    Very nice :D What size is the F1?

It's the large one, but it's still on the small side. I don't have particularly big wrists. I get away with the Monaco, but large round watches look wrong.

Like Nap, I wear my F1 most days (every day really, otherwise the Monaco) and have done since 1993. It's had three new batteries. Three.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I have an interesting love/hate thing with watches. My dad has an Omega Seamaster which is the only thing about Inheritance I'm vaguely looking forward too (likewise my Grand father's Rolex). He has a small collection of vintage dress style Omega's too which are of dubious authenticity (so much so we assume they re not real). He's given me one of them and I love wearing them when I spruce up (I do enjoy a bit of man grooming).

Day to day though I'm just rubbish with watches, I lose them/break them and stuff. Plus I rather like the look and functions of a vivoactive HR too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Oh I wish I could afford more watches. I'm death to them though.

My watch collection started at about 7 years old with a wind up Sekonda (still got it and I believe it still works). Then a Casio digital which broke. At 18 my parents spent a bit on an Accurist moonphase watch. That lasted almost 2 years before every watch repairer said the mechanism was dirty inside and probably couldn't be repaired.

Then I got given a Casio 200m rated digital as a leaving present. Still got that 20 years after.

Bought myself a Tissot watch for £160 at half price from a shop run by an old fella who was retiring without anyone to pass the business on to. I felt guilty but I didn't have much spare cash and needed a new watch. I can't be without one. It was a lovely steel bracelet watch with a white face IIRC. It failed in 9 months but I didn't have the retailer to go to and there was another reason why I didn't go for a replacement or fix.

Went for a few years with that old Casio divers watch after that until I got myself a Seiko for £110 in a h Samuels half price sale. It's still going after 3 years. That's unusual for me as the only watches that survive my careful use are cheap watches less than £50. I am very gentle and care for all my watches but they somehow die. Just seen that Seiko has out still at £125. Annoyed with h Samuels and their stupid half price sale that's not really half price. They must have sold it at almost twice the market value for some time before the "sale" .

http://www.seiko.co.uk/collections/men/other/sne095p2#.V88eNqXTXqA
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Hmm, wearing a metal Swatch at the moment as I'm about to send my TAG f1 away for a new battery. Bit worried now. Had that about 20 years.
    Also have a very odd watch called a Chromachron that I got for my 21st. It has a coloured face split into 12 segments. No hands but a disc with a cut out the size of one segment. The disc moves at the speed of an hour hand and you tell the time by how far the cut out is between segments. So you can only tell the time to within a few minutes, but that was accurate enough. Will try to post a picture later.
  • BTW if anyone can recommend another new watch that is going cheap at a store or online. Something leather strap or a bracket. I'd like a plain face with date and perhaps day too. Time for a change.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    I wear a Casio Pro-trek and a G-Shock day to day and for riding, but have this for special occasions:

PICT0002.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    certina-ds-podium-gmt-black-dial-stainless-steel-men_s-quartz-watch-c0016391105700.jpg
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Lovely Panerai . . . I lust after the luminor gmt personally
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Fairly plain Seiko watch, can't find a picture of it. Decent quality, but nothing special, but got it from my grandparents for my 16th, so it has sentimental value 20 years later.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Forgot to add that I had eyes on a Boss watch with an orange face and black strap - the one that was available in the easyjet mag but I think i missed the boat on that

I'd quite like a Festina watch cos cycling. Oh and a Rodania too
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mmmm! Watches and quality fountain pens. Two items I'd collect obsessively if I had too much money for my own good. So personal to you in many ways.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    image.jpeg

Previous to this was

IMG_3616e_1024.jpg~original

The Patek was a thing of beauty and I regret moving it on. The sub, once you get past the negative connotations of Rolex, is a great watch, 3 years and never missed a beat and looks like knew despite being a daily wear.

I don't sleep around, drink much or do drugs but I do love mechanical excellence :shock: boring int I. :D
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    This is similar to my Chromachron:
    chromachron.jpeg
    The time on the watch in the image is nearly 7.40 as the missing slice is a little over halfway between 7 and 8. Found some waffle written about them
    In 1971, Tian Harlan, architect, engineer and artist, developed the communication system "Chromachron" (Chroma=Color and Chronos=Time) that, as was his hope, visualizes time with less rigidity. A rotating disk with a pie-shaped cutout revolves over a colored time zone (each color represents an hour) to approximate time, gauging rotation by fluid motion without demarcation of minutes or seconds. Pieter Doensen describes the Chromachron in his book Watch: History of the Modern Wristwatch as the "anti-stress watch," freeing us from the "dictatorship of exact time." Originally conceived as the "Colour-Time" clock sculpture at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Tian created over 100 variants of the watch (and clocks) through the eighties.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    mostly wear this one...

watchc.jpg

...also have a raymond weil dress watch (another automatic)

have had them 15+ years, not really inclined to change, though i did lust after this for a while... http://www.vancleefarpels.com/eu/en/la- ... piece.html
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • One of these for almost 20 years...

omega-seamaster-polaris-dual-time-02.jpg

And one of these for 33 years...

blacksea120.jpg

Lots of others, but nothing too flash.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • seanoconn
    Wow some beautiful watches you guys, Rolex, Breitling, Omega (I would love an Omega Seamaster one day) V68's hippy watch is certainly interesting.
  • seanoconn
    Has anyone actually dived with their divers watches?
  • My usual day to day watch is a polar m400 which is a running watch, and daily activity tracker
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Has anyone actually dived with their divers watches?

Im a PADI instructor and diving with watches is now a bit old school.. Many people now use a wrist mounted computer to dive with. I do have a diving watch from Apeks which manufacturers diving equipment and I do take it on some dives as a back up with some tables.
  • My everyday watch is a Rolex submariner, I also have a bi-metal submariner date and a vintage sea dweller as well.

My best looking watch is a Raymond Wiel Freelancer , beautiful watch.

I have a very early seventies Rado Diastar which is quite funky and a drawer full of various divers watches etc.

Watch freak.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently