MoG - JoG Everesting non stop in 30hrs route ideas ??

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited September 2016 in Tour & expedition
Hi all
Planning next years charity ride riding from Mull of Galloway to John o Groats non stop. Team of 6 riding in groups of 3 in 2hr legs. We would of course like to add Evereresting in this. Anyone got a route for this/ideas also what is the A9 like for cycling. I know their is a cycle path but not suitable for road bikes. Also thought of heading over toward braemar so to increase altitude, this could add 7000 ft or up the A82. and we would like to do it in 24hr??? not 30

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I would avoid the A9 for cycling if you can.

The cycle path is not really suitable for 23/25mm tyres but would be ok for tougher hybrid tyres. Plus the traffic can be a bit intrusive.

Plus there are serious road works in the Aviemore area (which can be avoided using the side roads).

Plus there are plans for a section in the south (just north of Perth) to be upgraded soon - construction tenders due out soon. Construction work may be commencing in the later part of 2017.

In addition to all that there are better alternatives but they will add mileage. The A93 to Braemar is a good choice but you will be swinging a bit further east.

The A82 is not great in certain parts but better than the A9 in my opinion.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I have driven the A 82 from Glasgow to Fort William and a bit further to the junction with the A 87 at Loch Lochy... some bits are OK, others are terrible. I'd say the part around GlenCoe is not only very beautfiul but also bearable, especially outside the holiday season. The part around Loch Lomond is pretty bad, especially the windy narrow part after the A 83 junction, going north, that one is a nightmare and to be avoided.

A87 is good enough for cycling and from there going north via the A890 is good... it gets lumpier and lumpier (and of course you can take a Bealach Na Ba -Applecross detour and back via the coastal road.

Obvioulsy the Western Highlands are prettier, lumpier, but also wetter... it basically rains pretty much every day... a little or a lot down to luck
    left the forum March 2023
  • navrig2
    Not sure when Ugo last drove the A82 but there have been improvements. Some details here http://www.transport.gov.scot/project/a82-pulpit-rock

I haven't driven it for ages but Ugo's comments were/are accurate depending on the improvements. That said the improvements wont reduce the traffic but will increase the traffic speed.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    East or west, both good. A82 can be a bit hairy with traffic but not too bad outside peak tourist times. A93 over Glenshee (then take the A939 over the Lecht) is great, it always amazes me that the highest public road in the UK gets so little love. Lots of ways to get across country to it e.g. Doune - Dunblane - Crieff - Pitlochry.

A good wildcard: if you are willing to sacrifice some time to the ferry (3hrs or so) then Ardrossan - Campbelltown and follow Route 78 - it follows some evil backroads for what feels like hundreds of miles to Oban, I've not been on the off-road sections beyond but I've heard that they're good and you can make good speed on them.
  • navrig2
    Or ferry Ardossan to Brodick, cycle to Lochranza, ferry to Claonaig and then cycle towards Oban. If the forecast is good for the west that's a good route.
  • navrig2
    This got me thinking. I don't know Galloway that well but from Ardrossan onwards how about this:

https://goo.gl/maps/uiT8XVoFbkT2
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Not sure when Ugo last drove the A82 but there have been improvements. Some details here http://www.transport.gov.scot/project/a82-pulpit-rock

I haven't driven it for ages but Ugo's comments were/are accurate depending on the improvements. That said the improvements wont reduce the traffic but will increase the traffic speed.

3 weeks ago
    left the forum March 2023
  • navrig2
    Navrig2 wrote:
    This got me thinking. I don't know Galloway that well but from Ardrossan onwards how about this:

https://goo.gl/maps/uiT8XVoFbkT2

In that case you are miles ahead of me on local knowledge. I'm more aware of the existence of the modifications than the impact of them just through work.
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Managed to get a route sorted probably need a tweak or 2. Takes in the hills of Galloway, Heads over Breamar A939 onto Grantown on spey and takes the B9007 Nairn onto Inverness then A9 then B817 at Evanton then B9176 to Bonar Bridge then A836 all the way to JoG. I Know there are easier routes but then lose the Everesting height. 480 miles 29,627 ft

https://www.strava.com/routes/6364056
  • navrig2
    Depending on the time of day that section of the A9 from Inverness to Evanton can be quite busy. Typically later afternoon and early evening (so called rush hour!). It is dualled. Just be careful.

The alternative is to head through Inverness towards Beauly and Muir of Ord. This is a much nicer road but it is also busy at the same times of day and is much narrower so again care would be needed. It's single carriageway.