Tour of Britain 2016 Stage 2 *Spoilers"

dish_dash
dish_dash Posts: 5,551
edited September 2016 in Pro race
Liking the look of this stage. Carlisle to Kendal... might do some of it next time I'm up there. The struggle is a fun one.

ToB2016_Stage2_Overview.jpg

And anyone know why Trek and Giant both started yesterday one rider short?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    edited September 2016
    Greipel in the break of the day. Looks to be about a dozen up front with a lead of 2.45. Roche is also in there but no sound so haven't worked out everyone else. Greipel took the first sprint.

Edit - more like 20 in the break and virtually all the big teams so I can see it sticking.
  • Pross
    Wiggins in his now customary position at the back of the peloton.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    And most importantly they have just gone past my Gran's house...
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited September 2016
    Pross wrote:
    Edit - more like 20 in the break and virtually all the big teams so I can see it sticking.

No Movistar or Bardiani hence they are leading the chase. Don't think Dimension Data are there either which is a shame as this is a perfect Cummings stage

Edit: break is 15 riders in size
  • Pross
    Van Zyl (DDD) Roche (SKY) Vermote (EQS) Vliegen (BMC) Mullen (CDT) Benito Saez (CJR) Greipel (LTS) Dunne (JLT) Meurisse (WGG) Hoekstra & Tusveld (TGA) Leezer & Lindeman (TLJ) Coledan & Mosca (TFS). 15 in total, Movistar have missed out and driving the peloton.
  • Mmmmhhh... the Struggle, nice! It would have been nicer had they fitted in Newlands Hause and Honister after Whinlatter, but probably they wanted to avoid the air ambulance... :-)
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Lead dropping fast, over a minute it about 10km.
  • Pross wrote:
    Wiggins in his now customary position at the back of the peloton.

I thought he retired... :shock:
  • Gas leak at work means we were evacuated and now on the sofa in front of ITV 4... life is good :-)
  • Gas leak at work means we were evacuated and now on the sofa in front of ITV 4... life is good :-)

Leaves desk to find nearest gas pipe...
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Although it looks dry where they are at the moment in Keswick it is wet here in Kendal, the right turn into the final kick up to the line could be pretty sketchy, very narrow through centre of Kendal after the flamme rouge too.
  • Greipel dropped up the Struggle
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    Cav not happy with somebody!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    The Struggle is doing its job
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    edited September 2016
    maddog 2 wrote:
    The Struggle is doing its job

Yep, shame it's not in the Fred Whitton...

Greipel barely moving... :lol:
  • maddog 2
    Indeed. When they changed the route to a Grasmere start/finish they should've re-routed it up the Struggle, IMO
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2
    nice to see no wallies running alongside...
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    Indeed. When they changed the route to a Grasmere start/finish they should've re-routed it up the Struggle, IMO

The argument is that it comes too soon and the road is too narrow and steep to take a big volume of "undiluted" riders, but a warning sign would probably do the job... it would be so much more iconic than the standard main road
  • Advert break just as the riders plunge into the gloom off the top of Kirkstone :(
  • Gwargeous weather

Dennis looking v frisky
  • maddog 2
    The argument is that it comes too soon and the road is too narrow and steep to take a big volume of "undiluted" riders,

I get that but it's no narrower than the climb to Troutbeck. I suspect they didn't want to change the route too much, so they didn't.
  • maddog 2
    there are still some lumps to go to get to Kendal... they'll turn left in a bit and it'll go pop again.
  • Cummings bridges across then attacks, back together.
  • Good group, Martin, Dennis, Cummings, Gallopin and swifty about to make contact.

Great stage
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cummings and Vermote go for it. 10K
  • Cummings looking very easy... almost effortless
  • Anonymous
    1st of 10 k done by cummings alone
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    All downhill from here (except the finish), this ain't coming back together.
  • Anonymous
    Love the decals almost spinning in reverse.
  • ENVE logos spinning backwards... it is that fast!