Single speed thread

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
edited September 2016 in Your mountain bikes
show us your single speeds.
The only one I have at present is a Gary Fisher Ferrous 29er 36T:17T gearing with 2.3" or 2.2" tyres.
oDSC00338_zpsjlfbf3sz.jpg

Previously there has been a 1992 Scot Pro racing, 1989 Marin Pallisades, 1995ish ? Kona Cindercone and 2003 Orange Evo 2 as single speeds. I have had one in form or another for the last 10 years or so. Loved all to bits literally sometimes.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• bboti
    bboti Posts: 39
    Single speed bikes look cool, I must admit :)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've never understood the appeal of a singlespeed mtb, aside from park/street/DJ bikes. Perhaps I need to grow a beard to understand...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Single speeds are stupid, so best to make them as stupid as possible. Mine is a drop barred frankenbike.

29272507140_7ea6671fce_o.jpg

ps the garden has had a lot of work since then.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    cooldad wrote:
    Single speeds are stupid, so best to make them as stupid as possible. Mine is a drop barred frankenbike.

29272507140_7ea6671fce_o.jpg

ps the garden has had a lot of work since then.

Nice bucket. Shame about the bike.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I notice these are both rigid. Does that mean you don't ride them on trails, or only ride them on easy trails?

I quite fancy having a go at building one - I've got most of the things I need except horizontal dropouts on the frame. I did try and contact a frame builder to see about getting it done.. no reply and I've since let the matter drop. Is it worth it on an alu frame or shall I just use the tensioner that's sat in my parts box?

And what about gearing - does 37-17 get me up Twrch at Cwmcarn I wonder?

For my last fixie build I went to the shop and bought one off the peg, kinda cheating I know but it does all work.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    craker wrote:
    I notice these are both rigid. Does that mean you don't ride them on trails, or only ride them on easy trails?

Mainly just had bits lying around, so bought some brake levers and cheap bars and stem and put it together. It's a bit scary, mainly due to the very arse up riding position I think.

This one has suspension, although those forks blew up after bottoming out explosively at the bottom of a rather large bombhole. Orange Michelin Wildgrippers mandatory.

29569954776_7c3c4a8078_o.jpg

Used by my hippy son on some very gnarly stuff - he can keep up with XC whippets uphill, and long travel bikes down scary stuff, but he is a bit fitter and braver than me.

29569955956_e6cce11975_o.jpg

Also good for random beach rides.

29523509071_001dfa9b82_o.jpg

And occasional use by my girlfriend, although she prefers her old Marin with gears. Hence odd face at top of hill.

28980596203_b888904cff_o.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools