The post-Contador Pelaton

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited September 2016 in Pro race
If (sadly not a big 'if') this is the demise of the mighty Alberto, who among the peleton is
most likely to grab the fans attentions in a similar way to Bertie?

I like:
Jarlinson Pantano (potentially joining contador at Trek-Segafredo next year)
Julian Alaphillipe (their TdF tussle on stage 20 was great to watch)

Who are your picks?
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Isn't it already Peter Sagan?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Miguel Angel Lopez
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    M.R.M. wrote:

Unless he becomes a GT contender anytime soon..

Altho he is very entertaining just not in the same way
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    josame wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

I think he could possibly win a GT in a Wiggins-esque way... It would require him having the right team around him and a very particular route, but mainly also it would mean him going all in and I don't think he would want/need to bother as he's having plenty of success... And seems to enjoy the type of riding he does.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    josame wrote:
    If (sadly not a big 'if') this is the demise of the mighty Alberto, who among the peloton is

For me it would be any unrepentant drugs cheat who gets hardly any meaningful punishment, thereby pissing off of the fans who would rather see cheats banned for life so that the sport's reputation wouldn't be a joke.

But I don't think that's what the OP meant when the question was posed.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    Lucan2 wrote:
    josame wrote:
    If (sadly not a big 'if') this is the demise of the mighty Alberto, who among the peloton is

For me it would be any unrepentant drugs cheat who gets hardly any meaningful punishment, thereby pissing off of the fans who would rather see cheats banned for life so that the sport's reputation wouldn't be a joke.

But I don't think that's what the OP meant when the question was posed.
    zakarin then
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Don't necessarily think bans for life is the right way to go in all cases (not first times at least), but Contador does seem to have got away pretty lightly.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    josame wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

I think he could possibly win a GT in a Wiggins-esque way... It would require him having the right team around him and a very particular route, but mainly also it would mean him going all in and I don't think he would want/need to bother as he's having plenty of success... And seems to enjoy the type of riding he does.

Sagan would have to go through a physiological change which would mean he would no longer win classics. Wiggins has won just about everything in multiple disciplines but not a classic.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!