Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 6 v Ultimate CF SLX8

apprent1ce
apprent1ce Posts: 58
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Been looking at possible upgrade and for the price, I wondered about thoughts on the following options:

Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 6 v Ultimate CF SLX8 or possibly look at other second hand options around this price?

Something that looks good, to ride for pleasure, pushing strava segments, sportives/gran fondo, occasional TT and the odd sprint tri.

Comments

• Aeroad :D
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Aeroad more aero, lower position, Ultimate - lighter more upright, more comfortable. The ultimate makes a better all rounder.
  • They will both fit quite differently, so I would get the bike that is the best fit for you, not what strangers on the Internet say.

Having a properly fitted bike had made the biggest single difference to my riding.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Teebs_123 wrote:
    Having a properly fitted bike had made the biggest single difference to my riding.

This is what everyone says, but how on earth do you do that with a Canyon. I have no confidence that typing in a few numbers to an online computer will lead to a comfy bike.
  • I have the aeroad and its quite a focussed ride but that said its an amazing bike. Its easy to test a canyon drive to the factory make a weekend of it and test all the bikes you want there. My drive to work and back twice is the same distance as canyon and back its easiky done in a few hours and make a weekend of it and enjoy a trip there.
    I will buy an ultimate next year to have alongside the aeroad but not yet as enjoying the aeroad too much. I have an ultimate too as a winter bike but its a few years old now and will keep that for winter duties and have the new ultimate for trips abroad if i ever get the time.
    Both bikes won pretty much all the awards and plenty if races but they are very different bikes. If u sure id go for the ultimate ad its far more forgiving and less extreme. I ride i high saddle and a low front end and all my ither bikes i had the stem almost as low as it will go yet the aeroad has nearly all the spacers left in.
  • Many thanks for the responses. I have just looked at the 2017 Aeroad and the range doesn't look to include the SLX 6 model now - entry appears to be the SLX 8 which unfortunately is out of my price range!

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/aeroad/? ... 4NewModels
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    that's interesting. no frameset... was going to buy one and put my bits from the existing bike I had....