Reba SL Dual air 2009 cant get full travel

mantas345
mantas345 Posts: 8
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
hello guys, first of all, my English isnt good, but ill try to explain as best as i can, and looking forward to answers.
so i just recently got this reba fork. it seem to work all good and so, but the problem is it bottoms out 20mm or even more too early than it should. i mean it travels not like 100mm till it bottoms out but something like 60-70mm. ive seen this viewtopic.php?t=12652233 will full service help me get the full travel? thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Would be better in the MTB workshop forum really.

The fork has a bump stop that prevents it going to full travel and crashing solid, but that is usually only 10-15mm worth of travel.

Is it possible it's not rebounding fully instead of not going full bump?

Are you sure it's a 100mm and not an 80mm fork?

A service may or may not help depending on the issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The fork has a bump stop that prevents it going to full travel and crashing solid, but that is usually only 10-15mm worth of travel.
    yeah i know that, but now it has that normal 10mm + 20mm more=30mm until the end
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Let the air out and see how much travel you're actually getting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ive released air but i can still see like 30mm or more of stanchion, which isnt good at all, i shouldnt see no stanchion.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is usually a small amount of stanchion visible at full travel, but 30mm is too much. Could be a damper seal has gone, in which case service and replace.
  • cooldad
    I have some Recons that get full travel and have well over an inch of stanchion showing - measure the actual travel before you do anything drastic.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Most forks will leave about 15mm of stanchion showing, so 'I shouldn't see no stanchion' (ignoring the double negative) is wrong I'm afraid, not sure where you get that idea from?

Maybe try measuring actual travel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    My 2012 110 mm Reba Soloairs do not have any stantion showing when fully compressed.
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, but 'most' do, though when you say no stanchion I presume you mean very little as contact of seal on crown wouldn't be a good idea!

As it happens my old Manitou manual specifically told customers you would.
  • JGTR
    The Rookie wrote:
    Indeed, but 'most' do, though when you say no stanchion I presume you mean very little as contact of seal on crown wouldn't be a good idea!

As it happens my old Manitou manual specifically told customers you would.

No, when fully compressed there is no stantion, commonly referred to as "bottoming out". I tune my fork so that it doesn't bottom out, or as close to bottoming out as possible without - on big drops it may actually bottom out but this is really rare - full travel of 110mm is with no stantion showing.
  • The Rookie
    So the seals actually touch the crown? Never seen that on any fork but maybe its a factor of the 110?

Bottoming out refers to contacting the bumpstop by the way and nothing to do with stanchion showing, a fork that still shows stanchion still bottoms out.
  • JGTR
    Not on my Rebas, seals go right to the crown, not really sure how I can explain it any better?? I can take a picture if you feel the need?? This is when mine bottom out.
  • The Rookie
    Not saying they don't just very unusual!

My 100mm SID (similar chassis) has about 15-20mm of stanchion showing at point of contacting the bumpstop and over 10mm clearance after the biggest hits (using O-ring tell tale), so I wonder if the 110 is the same lower end just allowing a bit more bump. I have a feeling the 110 are OEM only?
  • supersonic wrote:
    There is usually a small amount of stanchion visible at full travel, but 30mm is too much. Could be a damper seal has gone, in which case service and replace.
    yeap thats what i was thinking.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Most forks will leave about 15mm of stanchion showing, so 'I shouldn't see no stanchion' (ignoring the double negative) is wrong I'm afraid, not sure where you get that idea from?

i got it from this post (open link, im new on forums) viewtopic.php?t=12652233
  • cooldad
    Still don't understand why you haven't measured the actual travel - would take 10 seconds, and then you'd know for sure instead of wondering about the exposed stanchion.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    That post doesn't mention it going to no exposed stanchion though.....
  • http://imgur.com/a/cXwJt it cannot be 60mm fork can it.... it bottoms out on 60mm. it should go at least 80mm but i was told its 100mm fork so it should go for even more i suppose, when i get air from - fork gets a bit more travel tho
  • If these are 'dual air' don't you need to take air out of the positive and negative chambers to get full travel?

Is there a Schrader valve top and bottom of the fork leg?

Have a look at the guide on the SRAM site. Can't seem to copy the link on my phone but if you google 'Rockshox Reba dual air setup' it should give you the link.