XT 11 speed for Giant Trance 2008

lesz42
lesz42 Posts: 690
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Just a bit of Info, for anyone wanting to fit Shimano's 11 speed system to a Giant Trance X0 2008 ( and other trances of the year?)

using the standard raceface cranks, i fitted a raceface 30t front chainring ( bolts that held the triple rings were fine)

fitted a new Mech hanger, then fitted a XT 11-42 cassette, XT mech SGS ( long) XT shifter , and HG901 Chain

using Hope Bottom bracket with 2 spacers drive side and one left side

no chain line issues using Hope rear wheel, chain does not come off the 42t ring on cassette, whilst back pedal

hope this helps someone!
Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I doubt it helps anyone as it was entirely predictable really!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well there's a coincidence.

I just logged on here to post a question about upgrading to my Trance(2013) to 11-speed using the same components as you, with the exception of using an oval chain-ring on my original Shimano Crank arms. so your post has assured me it's possible

My question was about which length Rear-Mech to use SG or SGS. I see you used the SGS and that was my thinking as well as this would allow me to use the bigger 11-46 Cassette if I struggle with the 11-42.

Thanks
    Giant Trance X2 - 2013
    Giant Trance X3 - 2012 - Stolen :(
    Cannondale Trail SL6 - 2010
  • The Rookie
    It shouldn't help you as the 2008 is a very different frame to yours, that said it will fit anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lesz42
    its not only the question of fitting, but its good to know that the 11x on a 2008 trance does not have the back pedal issue , one of my worries and its mentioned a lot by people who upgrade

so just because i said it said it fits, you did not read the entire article, it mentions chainline being ok , WHICH is not entirely predictable really!

SGS works fine on fine single ring ( just a bit longer mech) and allows 46 or dual rings on front
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • The Rookie
    The so called back pedaling issue has nothing at all to do to with the frame.
  • lesz42
    it has, its chainline, some bikes with short Seatstays have more issues, so it seems, and what sort of BB your bike uses, too, bear in mind i am using a shimano chain too, and that seems to cause more issues, too
  • The Rookie
    The chainline is a factor, that's nothing to do with most frames (with threaded BB) but with the parts used, stay length is a factor but less so, also other factors creep in like dirt, mine only shifts when back pedaling when it's cruddy after a muddy ride, not when it's clean, but again the 08 and 12 Trance are totally different so again the info is meaningless.