26" or 650b for a 56 year old

SWARFF
SWARFF Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi now I have reached the ripe old age of 56 all my riding has been on the road,saw a Boardman ht 650b going cheap so thought I'd buy it and give off roading a go have done a few rides on the North Yorkshire moors and 1 ride on the blue route at Sherwood pines and loved every minute of it,so should I upgrade to a full suspension bike should be better for my old bones,wanting to spend no more than £600, 2 bikes I have in mind the Boardman 650b full suspension 2014/2015 model or a giant trance 3 26" 2008 onwards as best I can get for £600.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wheel size is pretty irrelevant to the buying decision.

I'd get the Boardman, the Trance is fairly old and much more likely to need expensive maintenance.

You really don't need suspension to ride the Pines, a rigid MTB copes just fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Finally someone older than both of us.

FS is better for old bones, IMHO. The Rookie is still relatively young.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    cooldad wrote:
    Finally someone older than both of us.

FS is better for old bones, IMHO. The Rookie is still relatively young.

I'm 58 and agree fs all the way, although I still enjoy my hardtails.
  • Regardless of old bones, full-suss is just plain more fun.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would say at the pines an HT is....

For the OPs benefit, me being relatively young means I haven't got as far over 50 as some of the others on here.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.