Damaged bottom bracket shell

boom
boom Posts: 27
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Threads on my frame seem slightly damaged

So every time I try to thread a (Hollowtech) bottom bracket cup in seems like it damages the threads on the bottom bracket - its very hard to thread the cup in, so after a few weeks just works its way out

So seems what I need is a screw-together-in-the -middle bottom bracket. I've seen ones that are for square taper cranksets - don;t really want to go back to them

So my question is - it possible to get a Hollowtech type bottom bracket that screws together in the middle?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not something I have ever seen. I would have the BB threads chased, then use a strong thread bonding agent
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bizarre situation, something hard to screw in rarely unscrews itself, especially as the handing of the threads is designed to prevent that exact occurrence even when they go in easily.

Wrong cup in wrong side perhaps?

As above, get the threads chased out at your LBS (about £10) and use some threadlock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.