AG2R pronounciation?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited September 2016 in Pro race
Is it really "Ay-Zhay-Too-Air" (i.e. using French letter sounds but the number "2" as in "Two"?) Commentators all seem to think so?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    larkim wrote:
    Is it really "Ay-Zhay-Too-Air" (i.e. using French letter sounds but the number "2" as in "Two"?) Commentators all seem to think so?

I would say A Gey Deus Air
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Joel says what I've heard the commentators say.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    So long as you use the soft 'G' then Joel is correct.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Ar Zhay Does Air
  • Zayn does Donna Air
  • larkim
    Ned Boulting definitely uses "two" instead of "deux" in the middle there.
  • joelsim
    larkim wrote:
    Ned Boulting definitely uses "two" instead of "deux" in the middle there.
    Hmm
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    it's pro·nun·ci·a·tion

:wink:
  • larkim
    Helpful
  • AG2R are a French organisation so it would be correct to use the French way of saying the number, saying the English 2 is easier for commentators (apart from Rob Hatch). It's not much different to English-speaking football commentators saying Shalke 04 as 'oh-four' rather than 'nul fear'.

More annoying is the more pretentious among podcasting pundits trying to say it in French but saying 'ah gee deh err'.
  • larkim
    But that's what's been confusing me - Ned Boulting (who I believe speaks French?) has consistently (as far as my ears can tell) been pronouncing it using the French letter's (oo-er) but the English number. Anyway, I will carry on at home with using "deux" instead of "two" with the reassurance from this thread!

I will ensuring my *pronunciation* is correct from now on.
  • I've always said Ay Gee Two Argh, but I'm probably wrong.

I call them Bee Em See though, rather than Bay Em Say
  • To be pedantic, the team is actually called Ah Jay Does Air Lamon Dee Arl
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    It should be pronounced the French way - including the accent.

The only time this doesn't apply is in the event the team only has a single rider remaining in a race - in which case the English 'one' should be substituted. The rest of the name is to be pronounced as usual.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    AG2R are a French organisation so it would be correct to use the French way of saying the number, saying the English 2 is easier for commentators (apart from Rob Hatch). It's not much different to English-speaking football commentators saying Shalke 04 as 'oh-four' rather than 'nul fear'.

More annoying is the more pretentious among podcasting pundits trying to say it in French but saying 'ah gee deh err'.

To be honest Hatch says Ben Hairmans, when in fact I'm pretty sure it should be 'Airman'.

I'm bloody French I tell ya. I can also order a baguette, and chicken and chips.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I have no issue with either the fully French or fully English pronunciation, just don't mix and match!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Joelsim wrote:
    AG2R are a French organisation so it would be correct to use the French way of saying the number, saying the English 2 is easier for commentators (apart from Rob Hatch). It's not much different to English-speaking football commentators saying Shalke 04 as 'oh-four' rather than 'nul fear'.

To be honest Hatch says Ben Hairmans, when in fact I'm pretty sure it should be 'Airman'.

I'm bloody French I tell ya. I can also order a baguette, and chicken and chips.

Should it be airman if he's from Limburg?

As someone has said here before, this way lies saying Moikel Methews.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

Should it be airman if he's from Limburg?

As someone has said here before, this way lies saying Moikel Methews.

You may well be right, but yes he should say Bling's name in the correct sense.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I've always said Ay Gee Two Argh, but I'm probably wrong.

I call them Bee Em See though, rather than Bay Em Say

This.
  • Can we call them ALM then there's no argument?
  • joelsim
    Can we call them ALM then there's no argument?

A ll mmm?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Given we can't even decide whether to say Paris or Pari I think we are on to a loser when it comes to working out AG2R
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • My biggest issue with AG2R isn't the pronunciation, it's the fact that I keep forgetting that Rodderick Spode isn't hailed as the leader of the brownshorts. Despite the fact that it would have been funnier.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Who cares....