Going from 50-32 to 52-34

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Currently running shimano 105 5700 compact 50-32, can I change the individual chain rings to 52-36 without buying a complete new chain set

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    you don't have a 50-32. it will be a 50-34. and do you want to change it for 52-34 (not recommended) or 52-36 as your post is confusing?
    And seeing as it's from the 5700 series you will have to stick to 50t as your max big ring as the BCD on the compact chainsets is 110. a 52t ring would have a bcd of 130, so no good for your current chainset.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Semantik wrote:
    And seeing as it's from the 5700 series you will have to stick to 50t as your max big ring as the BCD on the compact chainsets is 110. a 52t ring would have a bcd of 130, so no good for your current chainset.

It's perfectly possible to get 110bcd rings in sizes bigger than 50t.

To the OP - if you are asking if you can switch chainrings to give you a 52/36 combo on your existing crank, then yes you can. You don't have a 32 though. It's most likely a 34.
  • Semantik
    edited August 2016
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

It's perfectly possible to get 110bcd rings in sizes bigger than 50t.

in Shimano 5700 series? Where?

If you mean something like these :http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s149p293/STRONGLIGHT-110-BCD-Dural-46-52T

then they are no good for the Hollowtech chainsets. Not compatible
  • imposter2.0
    5700 cranks will take industry standard chainrings - you can buy them anywhere. There's no particular reason for wanting OEM Shimano rings.
  • Semantik
    Imposter wrote:
    5700 cranks will take industry standard chainrings - you can buy them anywhere. There's no particular reason for wanting OEM Shimano rings.

Yes I'm sure you can BUT if you mean something like these then they are NOT compatible with the Hollowtech 2 chainsets. http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s149p293 ... ral-46-52T
    They fit on the spider but they don't shift properly.

to the OP= just get a new Tiagra 52-36 they are only £50.
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    What cassette have you got? It might be cheaper / easier to change the cassette as the difference in ratios at the front would remain more or less the same.
  • Semantik
    Imposter- think you must remember this thread which explains the problem: viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13069477&p=19951480#p19951480
  • imposter2.0
    Semantik wrote:
    Imposter- think you must remember this thread which explains the problem: viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13069477&p=19951480#p19951480

There is no problem. I have a bike here with a 5700 crank and two Stronglight rings on it which works just fine. Whatever the issue is, it ain't that.
  • Semantik
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

There is no problem. I have a bike here with a 5700 crank and two Stronglight rings on it which works just fine. Whatever the issue is, it ain't that.
    Try it with one Shimano ring and one Stronglight ring. Different then.
  • imposter2.0
    Semantik wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

You're not thinking this through. Why would that be different? And why would this only affect HT2 chainsets and not chainsets from other manufacturers? Or do you think the spiders on HT2 chainsets have a different offset or something? And where is your evidence for this supposed incompatibility? Sorry, this really is nonsense.
  • Semantik
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

You're not thinking this through. Why would that be different? And why would this only affect HT2 chainsets and not chainsets from other manufacturers? Or do you think the spiders on HT2 chainsets have a different offset or something? And where is your evidence for this supposed incompatibility? Sorry, this really is nonsense.

Your 5000+ posts suggest you spend more time talking about bikes than working on them. That is no doubt the problem here.
  • imposter2.0
    Semantik wrote:

Your 5000+ posts suggest you spend more time talking about bikes than working on them. That is no doubt the problem here.

Ha ha - if that's what you think. I ask for evidence and you give me an ad hominem. Kinda says it all really. Don't give me the old 'high postcount' nonsense, mate - give me your evidence. Cos it ain't in that other thread you linked to.
  • Semantik
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Ha ha - if that's what you think. I ask for evidence and you give me an ad hominem. Kinda says it all really. Don't give me the old 'high postcount' nonsense, mate - give me your evidence. Cos it ain't in that other thread you linked to.

Evidence? What are you, the resident Forum police officer or something?

Try changing your chainset to the configuration I have suggested first before spouting any more of your tripe. The poster in the other thread has found out there is a compatibility problem with a single Stronglight ring fitted to a Hollowtech double chainset. He is not making it up. He has found this out by getting his hands dirty.
  • imposter2.0
    edited August 2016
    Semantik wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Try changing your chainset to the configuration I have suggested first before spouting any more of your tripe. The poster in the other thread has found out there is a compatibility problem with a single Stronglight ring fitted to a Hollowtech double chainset. He is not making it up. He has found this out by getting his hands dirty.

Wind your neck in, mate. I'm asking for evidence because you seem to be making an unsupportable claim, after making a huge extrapolation from one guy's post. No offence to that particular guy, but one instance of someone who hasn't solved their shifting issue is not evidence that Stronglight rings are universally incompatible with Shimano chainsets. You seem to be taking this guy's post as a bellweather for the entire aftermarket chain ring industry. If that were genuinely the case, don't you think someone else might have mentioned it before now?

Like I said before, I have run Stronglight rings on many different chainsets including SRAM, FSA and Shimano, using combinations like Stronlight/OEM, both Stronglight, Stronglight/TA, OEM/TA and just about anything else you can think of. In my experience, they work fine in any of those combinations.

Anyway, it's pointless arguing about this unless you can come up with anything more useful than calling me names.
  • Semantik
    Ok , I don't doubt your own experiences but, hand on heart, I too have tried a Stronglight outer ring with a Hollowtech inner and there is a real chainrub problem that wasn't there with the stock setup. I think it is the fact that the original chainring is bevelled on its inside face whereas the Stronglight one has a flat profile. It wasn't to do with any other changes to, or defects with, the rest of the transmission system or a bent hanger or frame. But, hey, it's not worth us falling out over. And in deference to you I have learned something from your post- that two Stronglight rings seem to work ok together on the Hollowtech spider. Thanks for that info. Meanwhile the OP on this thread has gone silent...
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Semantik wrote:
    Not so. We have a TA 54t 110BCD big chainring on one of our tandems, and TA make 110BCD 9/10 speed chainrings up to 56t and 11 speed up to 53t - though I've never had any problem using the 9/10 speed chainring with 11 speed chain and cassette.
  • Semantik
    Nick Payne wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    Not so. We have a TA 54t 110BCD big chainring on one of our tandems, and TA make 110BCD 9/10 speed chainrings up to 56t and 11 speed up to 53t - though I've never had any problem using the 9/10 speed chainring with 11 speed chain and cassette.

And by the time he has bought the TA chainrings it would have cost the same or less to buy a new four arm Shimano chainset with the ratios he is looking for.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Semantik wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Sorry, my daughter raced with a 5700 series crankset fitted with 2 stronglight rings for 2 years, no probs, she even won a national title using said rings.
    so what if it rubs when on the inner and 12/13/14 t shouldnt be using that amount of cross chaining, as a norm.

whether it is cheaper to buy another chainset is a different issue,

Aside from our differences on strength training, Imposter tends to talk sense.
  • Semantik
    mamba80 wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Sorry, my daughter raced with a 5700 series crankset fitted with 2 stronglight rings for 2 years, no probs, she even won a national title using said rings.
    so what if it rubs when on the inner and 12/13/14 t shouldnt be using that amount of cross chaining, as a norm.

whether it is cheaper to buy another chainset is a different issue,

Aside from our differences on strength training, Imposter tends to talk sense.

Using the 14 sprocket and the inner ring is hardly what you would call cross chaining and should be a useable gear Never personally had to tolerate any chain rub when using the inner ring and a 14 sprocket on 7,8.9.10 or 11 speed setups.If you want to live with it and accept it as a shortcoming of using non-standard rings that's your choice. But it is hardly optimal.
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Meant 50-34 cassette is 11-28 and thinking of going semi compact with 52-36. I know I could just add a 11-32 cassette and need a medium cage derailleur.
  • Semantik wrote:
    Nick Payne wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

And by the time he has bought the TA chainrings it would have cost the same or less to buy a new four arm Shimano chainset with the ratios he is looking for.
    That's not relevant to you having given incorrect information in the first place...
  • I would never cross chain small to small. Too much slack in the chain and it will slap the chainstay. Yeah, I know, 14 isn't as small as 11 but even so, when do use the granny ring anyway? Going up steep hills then flick back to the big ring.
  • Nick Payne wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    Nick Payne wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

That's not relevant to you having given incorrect information in the first place...

Shimano don't do a 110bcd ring bigger than 50t for the 5700 series. That was entirely correct. And the aftermarket ones don't always work seamlesslywith the Shimano spider.I was trying to help the OP make the best buying choice in his circumstances. Buying a £40+ TA chainring that may not be compatible with his setup is not in his best interests. Whereas I believe your post was merely aimed ,in vain,at trying to prove me wrong.