Should I bother with a dropper?

Baron Greenback
Baron Greenback Posts: 128
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
It feels to me that the seat won't have much opportunity to drop in height?

From the top of the quick release, to the very bottom of the clamp is 150mm. I ride with the saddle as low as it will go (without trimming down the post). I think it catches on the nut inserts for the bottle cage screws.

image_8.jpeg

Also, on the spec for my bike, it shows:

Seatpost: CUBE Performance Post, 27.2mm
Seatclamp: CUBE Varioclose, 31.8mm

Am I right in assuming I would need a 27.2mm dropper?

If the top of the dropper was low profile (i.e. Not much sticking out the top when fully compressed), I guess I could maximize the amount of drop available. Does this height vary much between models?

Best regards,

Greenback

Comments

• How much post is in the frame? That will pretty much decide the size you'll need.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes you'll need a 27.2mm dropper, and to maintain the riding geometry you need a setback post, when I looked that was a mythical beast you could only hunt using a tamed dragon.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Yes you'll need a 27.2mm dropper, and to maintain the riding geometry you need a setback post, when I looked that was a mythical beast you could only hunt using a tamed dragon.

Ah interesting. It might take me a while to find one then!

Is that because of the frame geometry, or because of the fact I've moved the seat back on its mount? I'm not sure where I want the seat to be honest. I haven't ridden it for long enough to tell!
  • The Rookie
    If you look at your photo, the centre point of the saddle mounting is behind the seatpost, that is called a setback (or sometimes layback), all the 27.2 mm droppers I could find had the centre of the saddle inline (an inline post) with the main part of the post moving the saddle forwards by 20mm, effectively shortening the frame by one frame size, it's nothing to do with the saddle itself.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    If you look at your photo, the centre point of the saddle mounting is behind the seatpost, that is called a setback (or sometimes layback), all the 27.2 mm droppers I could find had the centre of the saddle inline (an inline post) with the main part of the post moving the saddle forwards by 20mm, effectively shortening the frame by one frame size, it's nothing to do with the saddle itself.

I understand. Many thanks for clarifying.

I may not struggle with an inline. However I'm not sure I want to invest in an inline dropper and then find out!
  • The Rookie
    You could get a cheap (fixed) inline post off eBay (or on a loan) to see of course!
  • The Rookie wrote:
    You could get a cheap (fixed) inline post off eBay (or on a loan) to see of course!

Yes, I was thinking that to be honest. Or I might keep an eye on the used 27.2 dropper market. If a bargain comes up, I'm sure I'd be able to re-sell if required.

Cheers,

Greenback
  • I'm running a KS Eten which has lay back and I understand is available in 27.2mm. I think it's only available in one length though.
  • xyra123 wrote:
    I'm running a KS Eten which has lay back and I understand is available in 27.2mm. I think it's only available in one length though.

Ah interesting. Thanks for letting me know xyra.

What it is like? They appear to be reasonable in price.
  • I've been very pleased with it. Smooth action and works well so far - I've had it on for about 4 months now - riding on average twice a week. Only 100mm of travel which some might not like, but i find I tend to only drop it about 2/3rds most of the time anyway for the trails I'm on.

A little bit of rotational play (few mm at tip of saddle) appeared after a couple of rides but has settled in and not got worse - a few reviews mentioned it so I believe it is normal.

When I first tried a dropper, I rode my usual route and thought it wasn't making much difference. Then I rode it again without dropping it and realised what a difference it had actually made - it felt so natural to use a dropper it almost disappeared in the background whilst riding. It did take a few rides for my legs to toughen up different muscles to be able to hold a decent position for a longer period with the seat out of the way!
  • xyra123 wrote:
    I've been very pleased with it. Smooth action and works well so far - I've had it on for about 4 months now - riding on average twice a week. Only 100mm of travel which some might not like, but i find I tend to only drop it about 2/3rds most of the time anyway for the trails I'm on.

A little bit of rotational play (few mm at tip of saddle) appeared after a couple of rides but has settled in and not got worse - a few reviews mentioned it so I believe it is normal.

When I first tried a dropper, I rode my usual route and thought it wasn't making much difference. Then I rode it again without dropping it and realised what a difference it had actually made - it felt so natural to use a dropper it almost disappeared in the background whilst riding. It did take a few rides for my legs to toughen up different muscles to be able to hold a decent position for a longer period with the seat out of the way!

Ah good. Thank you for the info. Sounds like one to look out for.

I've contacted a few uk distributors. They aren't in stock in 27.2 very often.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Germans have plenty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools