Broken free hub gears

shaneparsons
shaneparsons Posts: 8
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, this post is more about curiosity than anything else because I took the bike back and got it upgraded to the next model with a better freehub. But the thing I am wondering is while I was riding the old bike a few days ago I was cycling up a steady hill nothing to steep in 3-6 so top gear for a 18 speed bike, then suddenly I lost all power and the chain was making a horrible grinding sound. So I stopped to see what the problem was just thinking the chain may have fell off but all the gears on the freehub were spining freely without one another and I could move all the individual gears side to side about half an inch. I had to get picked up because the bike was unusable! What could have caused this problem so that I can prevent it happening again! The bike was only 3 days old and I didn't attempt to shift will riding on the hill.

Many thanks,

Shane.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like either the freehub's detached itself from the hub, or the cassette lockring has come undone, or possibly both.

Neither should occur on a new bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like it's a freewheel and not a freehub, they are cheap and cheerful and the odd failure is pretty inevitable.

I don't think Keef spotted the 3-6 and 18 speed bit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.