post clean?

HSimmonds95
HSimmonds95 Posts: 37
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Been watching plenty of videos on how to clean my brand new bike and very excited to do so as soon as the cleaning products and brushes turn up! (bank holiday weekend, 100 percent the worst time to order anything online!)

Well informed now when it comes to actually cleaning, degreasing, drying, lubing and what not, but my questions is.... what should be put onto other parts of the bike like the brakes and cables after i have cleaned them?
Also any other areas that I should be careful of or need a spray of something?

Cheers!

Comments

• Does your order of stuff include GT85? That's usually my last step - with the wheels still off, cover up the brake blocks and give a very light spray pretty much all over. No need to go mad but get in the bolt heads and stuff where water might be lurking. Wipe over with a cloth and good as new. Come to think of it I also avoid the bar tape.
  • Does your order of stuff include GT85? That's usually my last step - with the wheels still off, cover up the brake blocks and give a very light spray pretty much all over. No need to go mad but get in the bolt heads and stuff where water might be lurking. Wipe over with a cloth and good as new. Come to think of it I also avoid the bar tape.

It does not, but funnily enough I was looking at the Muc Off version.
    Order the ultimate kit box (see below what it containers) I think the Bike Spray Bio, might be a similar product?
    What would happen if you were to spray these types of products on the brake blocks? should the brakes just be left dry after cleaned?

Biodegradable Bike Cleaner (1 Ltr)
    ◦Bike Spray Bio(300ml)
    ◦Wet Lube (50ml)
    ◦Bio Drive Chain Cleaner (250ml)
    ◦Luxury Microfibre Cloth
    ◦Detailing Brush
    ◦Soft Washing Brush
    ◦Two Prong Brush
    ◦Claw Brush
    ◦Microcell Sponge
    ◦Heavy Duty Parts Washer/Storage Tool Box
  • A hefty layer of quality car wax (carnauba or however it's spelt) makes a swift wipe down with a microfibre all that is required for a good few weeks/months after application
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Hose Bike down to get most of the muck off.
    Muc Off Spray round the brake blocks, mechs and chainset.
    Leave for 10 mins.

Take a soft brush or sponge and plenty of water and wash off. Leave the dirty bits til last - so mainly top down like a car.

After that I get some GT85 and spray on a rag and pull the chain through that to clean and lube the chain if it doesnt need a proper degrease.

After that I might put bike spray on the frame or mr pledge once its dry.

I dont put anything on calipers etc - you want them clean not contaminated.
  • great, thanks for the advice guys!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Mr Sheen works wonders if you want a nice shiny finish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Been watching plenty of videos on how to clean my brand new bike and very excited to do so as soon as the cleaning products and brushes turn up! (bank holiday weekend, 100 percent the worst time to order anything online!)

Well informed now when it comes to actually cleaning, degreasing, drying, lubing and what not, but my questions is.... what should be put onto other parts of the bike like the brakes and cables after i have cleaned them?
    Also any other areas that I should be careful of or need a spray of something?

Cheers!

My wash will involve cleaning the chain, chainrings and cassette with a degreaser and the rest of bike with soapy water.

I don't put anything on brake pivots and cables after a regular wash. Brake pivots run on grease, which will still be in there after a wash. If you suspect that they need lubing, you'd be better off taking them apart and doing it properly (which I do on occasion using really thick grease). As for cables, not sure you can acheive much without taking things apart. Not even sure where you'd apply lube to have any effect. So I'd say, just wash them, and go.

As for spraying e.g. GT85 on other areas, I can only see the benefit if you're putting a wet dirty bike away without the chance to clean it and where it is unlikely to dry, as a measure to prevent rust. I suggest the best way is to clean it, let it dry, then lube the bits that need it (the chain, and deralieur pivots if you like) with a proper lube.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,415
    Packet of Sainsburys 80pence baby wipes. Cleans frame, chain and cassette (by 'flossing'). Tyres and rims use Fairy liquid. Dry off with microfibre cloth with a squirt of Turtlewax Quick Detailing spray. Lube chain and front mech pivots. Wipe excess. Done. Beer.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As above, except I use waitrose essentials wipes :)

Wooden kebab skewers cane also be good for 'flossing'

I also lube rear mech pulleys.
  • Best things for post ride cleaing of cassettes I have found is the old pipe cleaners . They are based on the principal of the the rifle barrel "pull through" . If you have a local tobacconist shop shoul be able to get a bundle for next to nothing.
  • thanks again everybody for all the tips!