Replicate gear ration on mulitple bikes

Wilby_89
Wilby_89 Posts: 96
edited August 2016 in Road general
I have two road bikes One 9 speed the other 10 speed
The 9 speed I have two cassettes for either a 12-27 or a 11-30.
On my 10 speed I have a 12-30 which ill probably change to a 11-28 in the near future.
Now I can replicate the same gear ratio so their very similar by using on the 9 speed the 12-27 and changing the 12 cog to 11 so I can go that bit faster (which works I've tried with having a large derailleur) and this would replicate the same teeth cog as my 10 speed bike apart from the 12 and the 30 cog.
My question is for those who have multiple road bikes do you try and keep the gear ratio similar or different.
I like the idea of know how much power I can push using the same gears on different bikes but then would it hurt to explore different gears on different bikes to see the cadence and power outage.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do you have a speedo? Use that.
  • Wilby_89
    No, I have the garmin edge 810 with a speed sensorand the vector 2s.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just don't bother. Different bikes. Different weather. Pointless.

You'd be better off getting a fixed wheel and learning to spin more to give you a far bigger capability.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Wilby_89 wrote:
    No, I have the garmin edge 810 with a speed sensorand the vector 2s.

So you do have a speedo - I don't know why you think you don't. Just use that and your effort level to approximate between different bikes. Your actual, precise gear ratio is irrelevant.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cougie wrote:

Agree with this. Also add different :

Tyre pressure
    Route variation
    Wind direction
    Clothing
    Diet
    Hydration level..............The list is endless.

The very point of owning a power meter is to eliminate the guesswork amongst all the possible variables that would effect your effort.
  • Wilby_89
    So I shouldn't worry to much about replicating the gear ratios and just learn to ride to set power whether that would be 95 rpm or 85 rpm to result in the same power?
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Can you easily swap a power meter between bikes?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Depends on whichever power Meter - could be crankset or crank. That's doable. Hub won't really work as he's different speeds. Pedals are possible.

If limits ever turns up they're like the pedal systems.
  • Wilby_89
    Got the vector 2s pedals so easy enough to switch over.
    Think ill stick with the 50x34 11-28 for both bikes.
    Its so easy to change cassettes that If I think that I will need a 30 on the bike for the really steep climbs I can quickly change it over before the ride.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,231
    Why do you ride each bike? Don't the circumstances that determine the bike also determine the way you ride?
  • cougie wrote:

You'd be better off getting a fixed wheel and learning to spin more to give you a far bigger capability.

This