Which phone mount?

rhodrich
rhodrich Posts: 867
edited August 2016 in Commuting chat
I'm planning on doing an Audax in a few weeks time, and I don't have a Garmin that has built in maps. It appears that my phone has all the mapping software I need, and it looks like I can just load the gpx into Oruxmaps, and use that, which uses offline maps.

There seem to be a plethora of different phone mounts, and I was wondering what everyone would suggest? The phone is a Motorola Moto G (3rd Generation), and is waterproof, so there's no need for any extra waterproof cover.

Thanks
1938 Hobbs Tandem
1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
1960 Mercian Superlight Track
1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
1980 Harry Hall
1986 Dawes Galaxy
1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
1988 Pearson
1989 Condor
1993 Dawes Hybrid
2016 Ridley Helium SL
*Currently on this

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I've heard good things about quadlock, but you'll need a flat-backed 'phone.
  • Quad Lock - Although if you're using your phone for navigating an Audax chances are the battery will give up before the end of the ride so you'll need some sort of battery backup.
  • rhodrich
    Thanks. The back of my phone is however a textured, curved plastic, so it doesn't look like that would work.

Might just give one of these a go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Visun-Universa ... B01JLX8N1O

I've got an external battery which should enable me to use it for the full 215km, plus I'll have the route instructions as a back up.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    Which Audax are you going for? Will it rain?

I use a Garmin 520 and an Android phone in a quadlock mount. The Android phone is waterproof so that works fine for the summer. I'm thinking about getting a fully enclosed Bikeconsole case for the winter.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Rhodrich wrote:

Not sure as its not got any reviews.

I had an old galaxy ace 2 which i glued to an old modified torch holder (basically cut the torch holder part off and was left with the clamp), was dubious at first as to would it cope with the constant buzz and vibrations 1st few rides all good. Then i had to dodge a pot hole and hit another smaller one and the phone came away from the case.

So the phone ended up on the road (still working when the battery was found and replaced) and the case back was still attached to the mount, Just needed something to secure the case but i'd chucked the mount before realiseing all i would need would be a "jelly" case that came round to the front of the screen. :(
  • rhodrich
    I'll probably stick a rubber band round the phone/mount to make sure it doesn't bounce out.

The Audax I'm doing is this one: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-368/

I've never done one before, but seeing as this starts/ends round the corner from me, it would be rude not to! 215km distance, 2700m of climbing - what could possibly go wrong! I hear that there are still a small number of places left, if anyone else wants to give it a go.

Let's hope it doesn't rain! As I said though, the phone's as waterproof as a Garmin, so no worries there.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Moto G3 has a removable back cover with relatively cheap spares. You could build up a sacrificial back/quadlock contraption with epoxy for a slightly cleaner look than the amazon contraption.
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    If you don't want anything too fancy, the Finn has worked perfectly fine for me in the past. It looks budget, but does its job.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    Have fun! I've paid for entry to that one but can't go because of a wedding *grumble*.

The best way to make a 200k Audax feel like a short bike ride is to do a 400k Audax.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Dyrlac wrote:
    Moto G3 has a removable back cover with relatively cheap spares. You could build up a sacrificial back/quadlock contraption with epoxy for a slightly cleaner look than the amazon contraption.

Then you have the possibility of the phone coming away from the back case like mine did.
  • rhodrich
    Happy to report that the phone mount from Amazon linked above performed admirably on an extended ride up Mt Teide in Tenerife last week (a climb of 2400M, in 34 degree heat), despite very poor road surfaces. Kept the phone firmly in place.

Just a shame that one of the 'ears' snapped off when it was in my suitcase on the way home though :( I've ordered another for the Audax.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I saw a genius phone mount on a bike in France last week: phone-sized cardboard box, zip-tied to the stem...
    Pannier, 120rpm.