Shimano XT Shadow + and Suntour MX3

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Recently installed Shimano Shadow+ (medium cage 10speed) and Santour MX3 (10speed) cassette and new chain on my Anthem X2 2013 (I am running 1 x 10)

Everything went OK until I discovered that when dropping down from the first gear (biggest ring) into 2nd gear (second biggest ring) the rear mech is catching/touching the big ring ??

See pictures

Any ideas?

The 'B-screw' is at its maximum 'in' position.

IMAG2549.jpg

IMAG2550.jpg

IMAG2547.jpg

IMAG2548.jpg

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    you need a long cage mech really. To get you med cage to work you need to use a long B screw.

The mech is over stretched though so you really need a longer cage.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can bodge it with a longer cage mech so you can run a longer chain. The mech is of course nit at all overstretched and is exactly as it should be on a big ring, I don't think I'll be taking a bike to him if he thinks that's wrong!

Or get a longer B-screw or one of the modified cages.

My short cage XTR mech copes just fine with a 40t.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    You can bodge it with a longer cage mech so you can run a longer chain. The mech is of course nit at all overstretched and is exactly as it should be on a big ring, I don't think I'll be taking a bike to him if he thinks that's wrong!

Or get a longer B-screw or one of the modified cages.

My short cage XTR mech copes just fine with a 40t.

Thanks Rookie,

Well, as I already bought, installed and managed to scratch this mid-cage Shimano mech, so return is not an option and cannot afford buying another one with long cage, therefore longer B-screw is my first hit.

If I cannot get a 'proper' longer B-screw it think its a M4x12mm crew, so any should fit or am I wrong ?

Rookie, what do you mean by 'modified cages' ??

Again, many thanks.

Chris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can by the two cage parts that hold the jockey wheels with a different form to better suite wide range cassettes. Oneup for example.
    http://int.oneupcomponents.com/collecti ... ApNh8P8HAQ

Yes the B-screw is m4, you just need one 4mm longer to move the cage that little bit further away, it's a better solution than using the wrong size cage as advocated above in my opinion.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    You can by the two cage parts that hold the jockey wheels with a different form to better suite wide range cassettes. Oneup for example.
    http://int.oneupcomponents.com/collecti ... ApNh8P8HAQ

Yes the B-screw is m4, you just need one 4mm longer to move the cage that little bit further away, it's a better solution than using the wrong size cage as advocated above in my opinion.

Quick as always !

Than You!

C.