Using Dag 2.2 Park tool on Cannondale

Drax32
Drax32 Posts: 25
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I'm pretty sure my rear hanger on my cannondale Carbon bike is slightly bent . I've order a Park Tool DAG-2/2.2 to see if I can fix this problem myself but I've noticed cannondale do not recommend using this type of tool on their hangers .
Has anyone had any experience using this type of tool with cannondale bikes or should I order a new hanger.
Thanks.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I can't think of any reason not to use this tool on your Cannondale. Not a cheap tool but mine has been used many times since I bought it 15 years ago so a good investment for anyone who does their own work. Despite recommendations not to bend back alu hangers it can usually be done without worry if the hanger is only slightly bent but alu does become weaker with each bend so check for cracks. I have an old alu frame with a non-replaceable hanger and I have re-aligned it at least 5 times without any problems. If you end up needing a new hanger you will still have to check the alignment and possibly tweak it a little with the Park tool as new hangers don't always bolt up perfectly straight.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't see how you can check / straighten a hanger on a Cannondale then? As already mentioned, even a new hanger on a new frame can need a tweak to achieve perfect alignment.

I use a hanger tool on both my carbon and alu bikes. I'm always surprised by how far out they can be, and bending them with the tool feels pretty easy. I'm sure bouncing my fat @rse through potholes puts more stress on the rear dropouts...