Specialized Venge 2015 or Merida Reacto 5000 2016?

sparklehedgehog
sparklehedgehog Posts: 295
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I can get a brand new Venge 2015 for £1440 or a brand new Merida Reacto 5000 for £1350. Which one is best in your opinion and why please?

Thanks for any constructive advice in advance
Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
Wattbike Atom V2
Garmin Edge 530

Comments

• P.s it's a Venge elite so 11 speed 105 and the Merida has 11 speed ultegra
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • I doubt you'll notice any difference whatsoever with the groupsets but as to the bikes...no idea. Can you test ride both and compare? I've got the venge 2016 which might be the same) and I love it, but know that Merida also make great bikes, this may be better value?
  • The Venge comes with fulcrum s5 wheels and the Merida comes with Quattro. Another small difference
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have the Reacto 4000 frameset having stripped the standard parts on delivery to replace with SRAM Force 22, Rotor 3D24/P2M and Q rings, using a 3T 17' stem flipped for horizontal, 3T Aeronova bars and Spokesman carbon clinchers. The bars are slammed giving it a full on race orientation. I sourced a bike from France saving around £250 on the UK price and selling the standard parts broke even building it up to my spec. The bike handles excellently, but is heavier than my other bike. I do however prefer it even with hills. The internal cabling is a doddle, but ditch the standard top cap with the cable guides as it is an ugly thing. The rear brake is shite no matter what direct mount brake you fit. Frame material is exactly the same as the 5000 with differences being in the groupset and wheels as standard.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I've gone for the Merida. The independent wind tunnel testing results showed these were second to the cervelo s5 yet beat many other aero bikes including the new Venge, madone, foil, propel etc so that was one reason. Another was the better specification overall of the bike and better wheels and tyres. It was also cheaper to purchase and the more modern shape of the two.

Time will tell if it was the right decision

Thanks for advice
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Good choice.

The rear brake is the one issue Merida should change on the bike. Even with Dura Ace direct mount brakes, the rear brake has little bite. It's a pain in the backside to set up being under the BB/chainstays and I found can invoke rear wheel rub. As such, I fitted the cable release up by the bars so that I can release the tension on the rear brake without having to stop and at the first sound or feeling of wheel drag. Having struggled around a modest 40 mile route when I first got it, trying to keep up with someone way less fit than I am, it wasn't until I got back that I noticed the rear wheel was locked against the brake pads. Being hidden out of the way, you or a ride buddy can't see it if you think it's rubbing. The front brake on the other hand is excellent.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.