Best location for road cycling trip?

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I've been there, and it was fantastic. This year we went here: http://www.saintjeandemaurienne.com/uk/
    and even though it's only the next valley up, I think we enjoyed it more. It seemed to offer a bit more variety and was perhaps a little bit quieter. We're going back there next year too. :wink:
    eta it was all road biking, can't speak of the off road routes.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Amended the title as a question - ??

Yes the 21 hairpin route up to Alpe d'Huez was stupidly busy.
    Even more so on the Saturday when there was a TT that seemed to be on all day.

One of the best was the route to Oulles which could be dropped into all sorts of routes. Just unfortunate there was only time for a few rides.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Few of us were there over the weekend, did the 21 bends on Friday in 30 degrees plus....
    Beautiful place to ride a bike.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    RideOnTime wrote:

One of the best was the route to Oulles which could be dropped into all sorts of routes. Just unfortunate there was only time for a few rides.

How was Alpe D'Huez as a ride - was it hard or just long? The reason I ask is that my missus used to work there, and I keep nagging her to go on holiday round there so I can ride up it 8)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • RideOnTime
    SecretSam wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

How was Alpe D'Huez as a ride - was it hard or just long? The reason I ask is that my missus used to work there, and I keep nagging her to go on holiday round there so I can ride up it 8)

I found the first third up to bend 7 hard and thereafter more motivated and a easier, the last 400m or so from the Village to the top definitely seems less steep - of course then if your fit you can carry on up the next Col - I'm not so I didn't. Really felt it in the evening like I had done a really hard climb - but next day was fine for another...
  • RideOnTime
    These have got one of my favourites at 12, Mount Teide

https://roadcyclinguk.com/sportive/twelve-more-must-ride-climbs-for-your-bucket-list.html/11#yjUtlyK8Rm6yQJZ8.97

Still you can only know what you've been on. :shock:
  • Andcp wrote:
    I've been there, and it was fantastic. This year we went here: http://www.saintjeandemaurienne.com/uk/
    and even though it's only the next valley up, I think we enjoyed it more. It seemed to offer a bit more variety and was perhaps a little bit quieter. We're going back there next year too. :wink:
    eta it was all road biking, can't speak of the off road routes.

I've hiked down the Maurienne Valley but never cycled. Maybe one day soon! EDIT - just realised your link was for St Jean de Maurienne, which is largely covered by the Oisans and Annecy in my geographically challenged view of the world!

As well as the Oisans, there is much to enjoy when based in either Annecy or Les Gets/Morzine.

The former is good if you have a car, as with some relatively modest journeys you can be positioned for the Cormet de Roselend, the Grande Columbiere, the Madeleine, the Glandon (Marmotte descent side), La Toussuire and the non-Glandon side of the Croix de Fer.

If you get really lucky (ie someone to drive your luggage from one to the other) and do the Madeleine / Glandon combo. Not a challenge to be taken on lightly!

Again, a car is good for the latter, as it brings the Columbiere and Ramaz (long side) into play. Accessible locally are the Joux Plane, the Joux Verte and Morzine/Avoriaz (nice climb but ugly in the extreme!) If based in Les Gets there is also scope to hire a hard core MTB and kill yourself off road!

The Oisans, Annecy and Les Gets are good as they are driveable in a day from the channel ports and ideal for family holidays.

Luz St Sauveur in the Pyrenees is good once there (cycling and family hols) but a b*gger to get to by car.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    What do you want? flat, mountains, rolling? Riccione is a fantastic location (Italian Adriatic Coast) and Italy Bike Hotels have some great hotels. France? The Var area or the Cote d'Azur. There is a reason why so many cyclists live in Monaco (beside tax). Bourg St Maurice area has some fantastic climbing - Cormet de Roselend, or the climb over to Italy via La Thuile.climb to Les Arc, opp end end of the Valley the Trois Vallees area and the climb from Bourg to the Col d'Iseran (50km) - approx. 40km is uphill. AdH is over-rated imo. There are more interesting ones but I know it's on a to-do list for many
  • I'm still hopelessly biased. Mostly empty roads at the height of summer (one or two exceptions), 25 cols over 1000m within a day's ride, and I'll have done nearly 3000 miles of riding here this summer with virtually no repetition of day routes. Oh, and the odd stunning road...

wp-1472025721257.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    I'm still hopelessly biased. Mostly empty roads at the height of summer (one or two exceptions), 25 cols over 1000m within a day's ride, and I'll have done nearly 3000 miles of riding here this summer with virtually no repetition of day routes. Oh, and the odd stunning road...

wp-1472025721257.jpg

Is that you Brian blowing your own?
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    Is that you Brian blowing your own?
    Not me, but friends who were staying with me. They didn't jump.
  • RideOnTime
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cjKLbfOgc

did a ride including Winnats Pass y-day.
    This is a random video, not the ride, obviously...