how often to you lot stretch/foam roll?

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited September 2016 in Road general
I've had recurring issues with my knee and what appears to be ITBS. Been fine for the past month as I've been stretching and using the foam roller most days. Plus lowered my saddle a bit.

The knee starting acting up again yesterday so I am wondering if it's due to a few less active days sitting down in the office before a bigger ride at the weekend. I work in IT security, and can be sat at the desk for hours at a time which I know is really bad.

Generally speaking, how often do people here stretch and use a foam roller?

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I don't, but I've just started 2-3 times a week as my hamstrings are noticably tightening. I would see a Physio if you've got knee pain, they can be funny things that take time to heal. A good Physio will help that process..
  • chatlow wrote:

Until you get your bike fit sorted out
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Rollering and stretching aid recovery and I wouldn't look to these activities to remedy any knee complaints.

I rollerstretch as often as needed to ensure my recovery is the best it can be and to ensure I minimise any risk of injury by overloading.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    How often do people here stretch and use a foam roller?

Never ever heard of a foam roller.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    When ever I get muscle tightness, aches, knots etc .... works wonders, should do it all the time and not just when "needed", but who has time for prevention .. I am all about cure !
  • Pah, stretching is for girls and rollers are for walls.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    and girls are flexible and walls stand straight.

Perhaps its time to embrace the doings of Girls and Walls. ..... After all if you look at the things that are considered "man" things ... like beer and full English Breakfasts and processed meat products, ironically these macho things are the things responsible for giving us feminine attributes ... like boobs

anyway enough of this drivelling, I am off to do some yoga and re-point my nails, maybe attach a picture rail to my chest !
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Zip, nada, nowt, never.
    Well, I did use a foam roller to paint the walls. does that count?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    chatlow wrote:

Until you get your bike fit sorted out

This.

And to answer your question OP; Never.

when I first started cycling, I had terrible ITB on the right, incidentally it started the day I got my first pair of proper shoes and went clipless.

After 2-3 months of pain and ££ spent at physio and with a foam roller, all without any benefit, I eventually adjusted my cleat position after seeking advice here, and *literally* overnight the pain went away and never came back.

So, as above, sort your position out and you won't get pain.

I run and cycle to what I think is a pretty high amateur level (I don't compete but I take it pretty seriously) and I never stretch, roller or any such thing. If I have a pain, I identify what it is that I am doing wrong (cleat, saddle, running shoe) I correct it and the pain goes away.

Rollering etc is generally just trying to plaster over a crack* - you'd be better off addressing the underlying problem.

*i accept it may on occasion have a place, e.g. after surgery or after a Specific accidental injury but for everything else my sentiment above applies.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I usually have a little stretch after each ride. I class foam rollers along with red lamps.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I had ITB issues when I was running but that only occurred when I got to half marathon distance. I got an OT friend who was also trained in sports massage to do a deep massage and stretching on the offending leg and that helped enormously. At times I would use a coke can or lynx spray can on the ITB and it gave some relief but not as much as the proper massage and stretching. I then picked up plantar faciatis in my right foot and the running stopped and the cycling increased.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've never had to to use the foam roller (so far anyway!) for anything bike related but do use one regularly after running - main for calf issues.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Interesting that people consider rolling a solution to injuries.

I roll regularly, but the purpose is to accelerate recovery. It's quite effective.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    Some interesting and cheeky replies :mrgreen:

Was actually advised on here, as well as numerous google posts and a sports physio to try foam rolling as it will help with ITBS. That plus a lot of glute and hip streching. The fact that it's been fine for the past 6 weeks and only came back the other day breifly, suggests that it was definitely helping.

Going to see a physio next week so will see what they recommend. As soon as I had this issue, the first thing I did was change my cleat position to make sure it suited ny natural foot position, so I think I can rule that out.
  • I suffered with my ITB last year (painful knee) so I went to a physio for a few weeks who recommended using the roller (along with some specific stretches).
    I did use it for a bit but found it VERY painful (which is probably the point) so I don't use it much now.
    So, to answer the question - not very often :P
  • http://www.mobilitywod.com/the-supple-leopard/

Go here ^

Read,

Buy his book,

Watch his You tube,

Gain Knowledge,

Fix yourself,

Thank me later.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling