Brooks Saddles..

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
I was thinking of getting a Brooks saddle for my hybrid bike but I am about 135 saddle size but all the Brooks are way larger than that so does that rule them out..?
Any thoughts guys..

Comments

• Only your backside can tell :)
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Why not get a proper saddle, instead, that will not melt in the rain and be half weight and cost
  • skooter
    I was under the impression that the Brooks saddle was the dogs dandlies.. I do have great saddles on my road bikes and no problems at all but riding down the Skytrails round where I live need a better saddle.
  • Everyone I know who has a Brooks saddle absolutely loves it but the fact that you're not supposed to leave them exposed to the rain and you're meant to buy a special 'care' kit to look after it just seems like a bit too much faff to me....

In response to your sizing question it might be worth asking in your LBS if they will let you have one on a trial basis. I have done this with various other saddles in the past and it works quite well.

Due to the price it is probably something that is worth trying in the shop rather than buying online I'd say
  • I've got a Cambium C17 which I've been very happy with. It's exceptionally comfortable and doesn't have the same issues as the leather ones of needing to be kept out of the rain, or at least I've never been told otherwise.

They've recently brought out the C13, which is a carbon version. I'm going to probably move over to that, but wait until later this year, when they're bringing the C13 out in a variety of widths. I'm keen to see which works best for me.
  • skooter
    Cheers guys.. I'm going evans tomorrow or the next day I think they do them and I will ask about sizing.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Just to dispel a few myths

The proofcare you need is £10 max - and one tub will last you ages - you only need to do it a couple of times a year

I got a B17 imperial from amazon for around £60 - not big money for a saddle these days....

Its leather - the stuff your shoes are made of - it won't fall to pieces in the rain !

I couldn't get comfy on anything else - so I have no choice but to ride a brooks. Its not for everyone (which saddle is) - but don't beleive the high maintenance, useless if it gets wet tales
  • skooter
    kingrollo wrote:
    Just to dispel a few myths

The proofcare you need is £10 max - and one tub will last you ages - you only need to do it a couple of times a year

I got a B17 imperial from amazon for around £60 - not big money for a saddle these days....

Its leather - the stuff your shoes are made of - it won't fall to pieces in the rain !

I couldn't get comfy on anything else - so I have no choice but to ride a brooks. Its not for everyone (which saddle is) - but don't beleive the high maintenance, useless if it gets wet tales

That's good to know but I will have to give it a few months as I've just had an off on my road bike and broke my hip and the hospital have just done a Dynamic Hip Screw.. DHS so I will out of use for a while..
    Cheers for the info..