Maximum group size in club run.

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited September 2016 in Road general
Hi,
Is there anything in the Highway Code about the maximum number of cyclists who can ride together in a group?
Have noticed larger groups can cause issues if they're too many.
Thanks
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    No idea about the highway code, and this is far below most club run sizes but I find 8 is near perfect and 12 is the top end before you know you will really piss off drivers
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Agree with above numbers - any more than that and we tend to split the group by creating a time gap.

As a driver, I've sat behind a large group and felt frustration as they were riding 3 abreast at times and oblivious to the chaos they were causing behind them.

We need to co-exist with cars and get away from the 'us and them' battle
  • 5 pages....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 5 pages....

This
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    It depends on whether they are wearing helmets and waving at other road users.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    My club policy is 10. Statement given is that after that you're just being lazy*.

*serious reason is for safety as the OP suggested.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've seen those tour de France club runs on the tv. Hundreds of them.
    Lunatics!!
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    cougie wrote:
    I've seen those tour de France club runs on the tv. Hundreds of them.
    Lunatics!!
    Always one! :D

Thanks for replies :)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I ride with 2 clubs, one has 12 and one has 10 in their policy. The one with 10 rides through city suburbs at the start and end so this makes sense.

I've been in bigger groups before and it's a bit much.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    One of the clubs I ride with (or used to) had 8 as the optimum maximum group size. Personally I feel the smaller the better - there is not safety in numbers, quite the reverse. I think 4-6 is a nice size, 8 is manageable but more than that and the group gets too big to allow cars to pass on narrow twisting roads. It also depends on the type of roads you're riding on and the level of traffic likely to be encountered.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • We tend to ride in a group of however many turn up. Our club runs aren't that big but chain gangs and some local rides can easily exceed 20 riders.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    drlodge wrote:
    One of the clubs I ride with (or used to) had 8 as the optimum maximum group size. Personally I feel the smaller the better - there is not safety in numbers, quite the reverse. I think 4-6 is a nice size, 8 is manageable but more than that and the group gets too big to allow cars to pass on narrow twisting roads. It also depends on the type of roads you're riding on and the level of traffic likely to be encountered.

Hmm, I think 8 is about perfect - but you need to be a bit disciplined with singling out and breaking the group for narrow roads.
  • bobmcstuff
    We tend to ride in a group of however many turn up. Our club runs aren't that big but chain gangs and some local rides can easily exceed 20 riders.

I find chaingangs with that many people just get a bit scrappy and start breaking up.

Much prefer 8-10 riders all working well together.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    We tend to ride in a group of however many turn up. Our club runs aren't that big but chain gangs and some local rides can easily exceed 20 riders.

I find chaingangs with that many people just get a bit scrappy and start breaking up.

Absolutely agree. First group is ok as the sight of a few semi pros in the mix puts most off leaving with them but once the second group rolls out people tend to think I'll give that a go then others think it's a fair sized group I'll be able to hide and then others that might have waited think anyone half decent is already rolling out then people think hang on I don't want to be the only one left and before you know it you can have 30 riders.

Attempts have been made to regulate it but it's a full time job and unless they stand there every week telling people it reverts to type.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Bigger groups might be OK if well disciplined and are in a tight group, but club groups will fragment which means 10 or more people take up a hell of a lot of space.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Absolutely agree. First group is ok as the sight of a few semi pros in the mix puts most off leaving with them but once the second group rolls out people tend to think I'll give that a go then others think it's a fair sized group I'll be able to hide and then others that might have waited think anyone half decent is already rolling out then people think hang on I don't want to be the only one left and before you know it you can have 30 riders.

Attempts have been made to regulate it but it's a full time job and unless they stand there every week telling people it reverts to type.

I find on ours since the first and second group follow the same route, the second group swells as it picks up people who got dropped from the first group. It started off being a reasonable size but we picked up about 3 or 4 from the first group. Also there were a couple of middle aged choppers who kept surging and wouldn't keep the gaps tight, so we kept getting splits. Then the guys who got dropped from the first group tend to be a bit stronger which only contributes.

I think after last night I possibly need to start going with the first group as it wasn't a very smooth chaingang and I didn't really get put under pressure till right at the end anyway.

I really enjoy riding with 5 or 6 guys doing through and off but people don't seem to be as keen on that (possibly because you can't roll through as easily...)
  • Depends where you are.

Out in the country (no, not Surrey!) early on a Sunday morning is going to be a lot easier than negotiating towns.

Here in Brittany, France, the Sunday club run is sacred and groups of 20 to 50+ are not uncommon.

And Spring in Majorca...well...big groups are everywhere.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    That, given the attitude to cyclists on the road in the UK, 10-12 is probably right, although we can get away with a few more on the quieter roads in Cornwall on a quiet morning. In Holland we would regularly have wednesday night groups of 40 odd. Riding 2 x 2 on a bike path 4 cyclists wide when the group from the other town comes past also 2 x 2 is quite an experience...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    That, given the attitude to cyclists on the road in the UK, 10-12 is probably right, although we can get away with a few more on the quieter roads in Cornwall on a quiet morning. In Holland we would regularly have wednesday night groups of 40 odd. Riding 2 x 2 on a bike path 4 cyclists wide when the group from the other town comes past also 2 x 2 is quite an experience...

Ever ridden the 20k cycle path along Palma seafront to El Arenal?

It's a narrow 1-1 in many places. Going flat out down Sa Calobra has nothing on this. Accidents are plentiful and messy.

When some lycra heroes meet 20 big German tourists on electric bikes, bad things happen.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I have not but sounds familiar...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've never ridden in a group but did see several club groups on my ride round some Essex lanes this morning. None of the groups was more than about a dozen I'd have said and there was one club which looked like they'd split into 3 groups of about 10-12 each which seemed sensible. I think it must have been close to the start of their ride as well because the groups were only a few hundred yards apart.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Saw a group today near Lewes causing havoc. Not a club run but a large group of 30 or so on any old bike crawling along all strung out. I was nearly hit by someone driving in the opposite direction on a blind bend by someone who had obviously lost patience
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Hmm, I think 8 is about perfect - but you need to be a bit disciplined with singling out and breaking the group for narrow roads.

... or even wider roads.

I've yet to see it.

More often it's an inconsiderate group of anything from 5 to 25 that swarms past me, forcing me to brake as they carve me up; the cars come past me after that since I'm all on my ownsome and make myself as overtakeable as possible when it's safe, and then all I have to watch is tail lights behind the group of two abreast for many hundreds of yards, sometimes a mile or two.

I've been riding for nearly four years now, and I've seen the above so many times that it just puts me off joining a club.

I think there's a group mentality that is simply immune to consideration for other road users, be it four wheels or two.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?