Jantex Tubular tape 76 on carbon rims?

volvo_fatboy
volvo_fatboy Posts: 69
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm currently using Tufo tubular tape on American Classic Carbon 58's and have been looking at other tape options.

I'm not interested in going down the glue route!

I've been looking online at Jantex Tape and come across Jantex 14 tape for carbon rims for £8/roll (enough for 2 wheels) on Planet X, which is more reasonable than Tufo tape @ £6/wheel.

But I've also seen on Planet X; Jantex Tub Tape loose (which I assume is the 76 for alloy rims) for £2/roll

Has anyone used the Jantex 76 on Carbon rims and can you give opinions please. Surely tape is tape and it will stick and hold anyway?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I've only ever used jantex - works fine with no issues.
  • As above, no issues
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup - no problems at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    76 is ok. I've switched to 14, though, as it's significantly better for three reasons:

1. It adheres more strongly. I've not had a problem with 76, but there's a comfort factor in additional adhesion.
    2. It's much easier to fit, because the backing tape is stronger, so much easier to pull off without tearing.
    3. It usually stays on the rim rather than the basetape when you remove the tub, meaning you don't need to pre-tape your spare. The adhesion second time around is still good enough to ride on IME.

The only disadvantage (apart from price) is that it's materially heavier than 76. We're talking grams, obviously, but on my lightest wheelset (784g) the tape added about 8% to the weight...
  • Thanks for your input guys. Much appreciated.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Use glue it make changing a tub at the side of the road easier. glue is left on the rim if you apply enough and your preglued tub will adhere quite well. takes five minutes as you dont have to faff with tape.
    5 minutes applying glue to each wheel 5 minutes to each tub leave over night to dry then mount centre and inflate. The bond will be rock hard quite quickly. Why people think tape is easier I dont know it is not when I have tried it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    After using Jantex for years, yesterday I fitted a new tub using Effeto Mariposa's new tub tape. Carogna.

It's very good. The plastic cover that you peel back never rips, so it's very easy to use and the tub seems a lot more solid on the rim.

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/catego ... s/carogna/
  • 964cup
    Use glue it make changing a tub at the side of the road easier. glue is left on the rim if you apply enough and your preglued tub will adhere quite well. takes five minutes as you dont have to faff with tape.
    5 minutes applying glue to each wheel 5 minutes to each tub leave over night to dry then mount centre and inflate. The bond will be rock hard quite quickly. Why people think tape is easier I dont know it is not when I have tried it.
    'cos it takes no more than a couple of minutes to fit a tub. I went from glue to tape a couple of years ago, and can't imagine going back. It's particularly useful if you change tubs from time to time - say from a winter Pave to a summer Record - the rim stays clean, the tubs stay clean and you can make the switch in no time.
  • So is the problem with Tufo the tape. I must admit I uber careful and have ad a few tearing tape issues.

Also if the tape stays on the rim if you change a tub all the better.
  • 964cup
    I've not tried Tufo tape (although I think it's specifically designed for their tubs, which have a tubeless construction and presumably some kind of special base layer or treatment, because the blurb for it claims that it somehow fuses with the base layer - this may be technobabble); certainly in terms of Jantex 14 is much easier to apply than 76, which needs extreme care not to keep tearing the backing tape (I use a pencil inserted between the tyre and the rim, to make a space in which to pull the tape). I've not had any problem with the tape itself once applied, although as noted above I've moved to 14 on carbon for (even) better adhesion.
  • I have gone from gluing to tape and I wouldn't go back to be honest.

I have found tufo tape to be fantastic in terms of ease of application and its ability to hold the tub firmly. However, removing the tub and the residue tape and left over adhesive is a PIA.

That is why I was questioning the use of Jantex. I have bought some Jantex 14 from Planet X and also some loose tub tape to try out.

I have also found a glue/residue removing product called Effetto Mariposa Carogna, which you paint on lightly to the glue and leave it to break it down (upto 24hrs) for easy removal. Will see if it is as good as it sounds.