Gear cable ends stuck in shifter

joeguerilla
joeguerilla Posts: 29
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have recently built a bike and reused some old campagnolo centaur gear shifters but I have a problem with replacing the gear cables. For some reason the cable end is stuck inside the shifter so I can't pop the head out of the entry hole on the underside of the shifter. I've tried a dentist pick and long nose pliers but it won't budge. It's the same problem on both sides. My local bike shop had no luck either so was hoping some experts may have a solution.

Any ideas? Or do I need to buy new shifters??
Thanks

Joe

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Mine got frayed well inside the shifter. I thought it was game over. I just kept shifting until it was in a better position to try and grab it with plyers. Sorry I cant be of more help.
  • Yeah it's pretty demoralising, the hole is so small I can't really get in there enough to hook it out.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have recently built a bike and reused some old campagnolo centaur gear shifters but I have a problem with replacing the gear cables. For some reason the cable end is stuck inside the shifter so I can't pop the head out of the entry hole on the underside of the shifter. I've tried a dentist pick and long nose pliers but it won't budge. It's the same problem on both sides. My local bike shop had no luck either so was hoping some experts may have a solution.

Any ideas? Or do I need to buy new shifters??
    Thanks

Joe

Dismantle the shifter and using a thin needle, nudge the cable end out. Be sure to use Campgnolo cables as Shimano ones are too big and will get stuck.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Yup - the levers can be disassembled from the 'inside' - remove the handlebar clamps to get to the mechanisms. Both the newer powershift and older ultrashift levers can be taken apart (though no small spares for the newer versions). Check the campag website for schematics - in case a spring goes ping across the room.

It does sound like shimano cables may have been used.
  • Thanks for everyone's help, I did give it a good go but handed it over to a local campag pro shop in the end and they took it apart.