Specialized Tarmac satin carbon finish?!

kentish
kentish Posts: 5
edited August 2016 in Road general
First time on the forum for me and a new bike! Took delivery of an awesome Tarmac Comp in satin carbon finish.

Fantastic bike, replaced my SL2 that was fatally damaged.

But... the satin carbon finish looks to me not right. I'm aware that it is a raw ud carbon finish so you'll see some of the carbon layup and the variations in the raw carbon, etc. But there are some milky blotches and streaks that look more like where the clear coat lacquer hasn't taken properly.

https://flic.kr/p/LsvtqB
https://flic.kr/p/KCzFCz

I've been waiting a couple of weeks for the supplier and specialized to confirm but if anyone has experience of this or has the same bike and can reassure me or advise that would be much appreciated!

Just want to get on and ride!

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Same for me but given there's a lifetime warranty on the frame and you"ll likely mark the frame after the first few rides.

To me it's not a problem but I appreciate you may view the visual aspects differently.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • kentish
    Not too concerned about the aesthetics and can make my peace with it if that is how it is supposed to be, I just don't want to be accepting a faulty product if it is faulty.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    It's the same on S-Works naked frames. Personally, I'd say I'd rather see the top layer than have a ( added weight) " vanity layer" that could cover up all sorts of sins.
  • kentish
    As long as it's not a fault in the lacquer I'm fine with it. Just wasn't 100% sure.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a satin finish Boardman pro carbon which has exactly the same. It's fine

I think if you do a forum search you will find a few examples from different manufacturers with the same
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I have 3 SWorks Tarmacs and that looks slightly odd to me. I too have 'blemishes' in my finish here and there, but nothing quite like that.

At least raise it with SPesh and see what they say. They're pretty good on customer service.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I have those on my supersix. Doesnt bother me. At least I can see any damage that may occur.
  • kentish
    Thanks everyone. That's re-assuring. I've asked the bike shop, who have gone back to Specialized so I'll see what they say.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I have 3 SWorks Tarmacs and that looks slightly odd to me. I too have 'blemishes' in my finish here and there, but nothing quite like that.

At least raise it with SPesh and see what they say. They're pretty good on customer service.

+1

I have a Tarmac, same colour, and although the finish on mine isn't blemish free I think yours looks excessive. If you're happy to keep the frame maybe push for a discount / compo.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift