Squeaky rear wheel or brake :/

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited August 2016 in MTB beginners
So I was near halfords and rear had flat tyre and when I move the bike slightly its squeaking then found out it was the rear wheel. Could be that they tighten the hub/QR too tight, I tried loosening it a little bit and still squeaking :/.

I was cleaning the bike this afternoon but it wasn't squeaking then :/

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    More likely is that the rear pads or calipers are not perfectly aligned and there is a touch point on the disk. May not show up when you are riding. Try advancing the pads by squeezing the brakes twenty or so times - not excessively and also bed in the pads by going down a hill and braking sharply to heat and stress the pads - repeat twenty time. I take it that your bike is newly bought from Halfords and hope you enjoy it.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • core00
    FishFish wrote:
    More likely is that the rear pads or calipers are not perfectly aligned and there is a touch point on the disk. May not show up when you are riding. Try advancing the pads by squeezing the brakes twenty or so times - not excessively and also bed in the pads by going down a hill and braking sharply to heat and stress the pads - repeat twenty time. I take it that your bike is newly bought from Halfords and hope you enjoy it.

Fairly new bought it in April this year, the halfords guys took the rear to fit a new inner tube in then the squeaking happens.
  • core00
    You're right i think the disc is too close to the pad, how can I align it so it won't touch the pad?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Loosen the calliper mounting bolts, align calliper square and retighten carefully.

Pads are meant to be close to the discs though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The Rookie wrote:
    Loosen the calliper mounting bolts, align calliper square and retighten carefully.

This is exactly right but if you have not done it before then you tube the process. The key to it is in The Rookie / Newcomer's advice on aligning carefully. You may need a stand and take trouble to observe over many small tightening / rotation increments. I tried tightening with the brakes on - carefully as suggested and that worked but to be honest may have been food luck. Clean the disk first and sand the pads a bit too with new sandpaper and not that scabby old stuff that you normally use.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:

This is the right advice, check the disc is in the middle of the pads with an equal gap. Then ride bike up to speed and brake hard a few times, check again and readjust if needed.

The loosen caliper bolts, pull brake on, tighten caliper bolts, let go of brake approach does not work as well. Check it by eye.